大学英语新标准高职实用综合教程（第2版）第四册 Unit 01
- Unit 01 : Persistence > Listening and Watching > Listening
- Listen to the passage and supply the missing words or phrases.
- What would you do if you (1) ? Many people may (2) to give up. However, the surest way to (3) is to keep your direction and (4) . On your way to success, you must keep your direction. It is just like a lamp, guiding you (5) and helping you (6) . Otherwise, you will easily get lost or (7) to go ahead. Direction means objectives. You can get nowhere without an objective in life. You can try to write your objective on paper and make some plans to (8) it. In this way, you will know how to arrange and spend your time properly. And you should also (9) that you are sure to (10) as long as you keep your direction all the time.
- 正确答案：1. fail 2. choose 3. success 4. stick to your goal 5. in darkness 6. overcome obstacles 7. hesitate 8. achieve 9. have a belief 10. succeed
What would you do if you fail? Many people may choose to give up. However, the surest way to success is to keep your direction and stick to your goal. On your way to success, you must keep your direction. It is just like a lamp, guiding you in darkness and helping you overcome obstacles. Otherwise, you will easily get lost or hesitate to go ahead. Direction means objectives. You can get nowhere without an objective in life. You can try to write your objective on paper and make some plans to achieve it. In this way, you will know how to arrange and spend your time properly. And you should also have a belief that you are sure to succeed as long as you keep your direction all the time.
Unit 01 : Persistence > Text Study > Text A
- I Will Persist Until I Succeed
- 1 The prizes of life are at the end of each journey, not near the beginning; and it is not given to me to know how many steps are necessary in order to reach my goal. I may still encounter failure at the thousandth step, yet success hides behind the next bend in the road. Never will I know how close it lies unless I turn the corner.
2 Always will I take another step. If that is of no avail I will take another, and yet another. In truth, one step at a time is not too difficult.
3 I will persist until I succeed.
4 Henceforth, I will consider each day’s effort as but one blow of my blade against a mighty oak. The first blow may cause not a tremor in the wood, nor the second, nor the third. Each blow, of itself, may be trifling, and seem of no consequence. Yet from childish swipes the oak will eventually tumble. So it will be with my efforts of today.
5 I will be compared to the raindrop which washes away the mountain; the ant who devours a tiger; the star which brightens the earth; the slave who builds a pyramid. I will build my castle one brick at a time for I know that small attempts, repeated, will complete any undertaking.
6 I will persist until I succeed.
7 I will never consider defeat and I will remove from my vocabulary such words and phrases as quit, cannot, unable, impossible, out of the question, improbable, failure, unworkable, hopeless, and retreat; for they are the words of fools. I will avoid despair, but if this disease of the mind should infect me then I will work on in despair. I will toil and I will endure. I will ignore the obstacles at my feet and keep my eye on the goals above my head, for I know that where dry desert ends, green grass grows.
8 I will persist until I succeed.
9 I will try, and try, and try again. Each obstacle I will consider as a mere detour to my goal and a challenge to my profession. Each frown I meet only prepares me for the smile to come. Each misfortune I encounter will carry in it the seed of tomorrow’s good luck. I must have the night to appreciate the day.
10 I will persist until I succeed.
11 When each day is ended, not regarding whether it has been a success or a failure, I will attempt to achieve one more sale. When my thoughts beckon my tired body homeward I will resist the temptation to depart. I will try again. I will make one more attempt to close with victory, and if that fails I will make another. Never will I allow any day to end with a failure. Thus will I plant the seed of tomorrow’s success and gain an insurmountable advantage over those who cease their labor at a prescribed time. When others cease their struggle, then mine will begin, and my harvest will be full.
12 I will persist until I succeed.
13 Nor will I allow yesterday’s success to lull me into today’s complacency, for this is the great foundation of failure. I will forget the happenings of the day that is gone, whether they were good or bad, and greet the new sun with confidence that this will be the best day of my life.
14 So long as there is breath in me, that long will I persist. For now I know one of the greatest principles of success; if I persist long enough I will win.
15 I will persist.
16 I will win.
- Unit 01 : Persistence > Unit Quiz
• I Directions: Choose the best answer to each blank.
- 1. Despite hardships, she ________ in her efforts to get a college education.
- 2. He didn’t heed the principal’s warning and the ________ was that he was dismissed at the end of the term.
- 3. The government will ________ the building of a large courthouse.
- 4. When she came towards me shouting, I _______ behind my desk.
- 5. One of the boys in the class had a fever and he soon ________ other children.
- 6. Some people criticize family doctors for ________ too many medicines for minor illness.
- 7. Not having a good command of English can be a serious ________ preventing you from achieving your goals.
- 8. I know I shouldn’t eat chocolate cake when I’m dieting, but I find it hard to resist ________.
- 9. I saw a woman running toward me in the dark. Before I could recognize who she was, she had run back in the direction _____ she had come.
A. of which
B. by which
C. in which
D. from which
- 10. We saw several natives advancing towards our party, and one of them came up to us, ________ we gave some bells and glasses.
A. to which
B. to whom
C. with whom
D. with which
- 11. I was given three books on cooking, the first ________ I really enjoyed.
A. of that
B. of which
- 12. The Beatles, ______ many of you are old enough to remember, came from Liverpool.
- 13. Meeting my uncle after all these years was an unforgettable moment, ______ I will always treasure.
- 14. Look out! Don’t get too close to the house _______ roof is under repair.
C. of which
- 15. There was ______ time _____ I hated to go to school.
A. a; that
B. a; when
C. the; that
D. the; when
- 正确答案：1. A 2. A 3. A 4. D 5. B 6. A 7. A 8. B 9. D 10. B 11. B 12. D 13. B 14. A 15. B
- II Directions: You are required to find the items equivalent to those given in Chinese in the table below.
- ( ) 1. 有进取心的
- ( ) 2. 充满热情的
- ( ) 3. 意志坚强的
- ( ) 4. 承诺
- ( ) 5. 目标清晰的
- ( ) 6 .雄心壮志的
- ( ) 7. 能胜任的
- ( ) 8. 不屈不挠的
- ( ) 9 .努力
- ( ) 10. 奉献
- 正确答案：1. i 2. f 3. d 4. b 5. j 6. h 7. g 8. e 9. c 10. a
- III Directions: Translate the following sentences into Chinese.
- 1. I may still encounter failure at the thousandth step, yet success hides behind the next bend in the road.
- 2. I will build my castle one brick at a time for I know that small attempts, repeated, will complete any undertaking.
- 3. I will ignore the obstacles at my feet and keep my eye on the goals above my head, for I know that where dry desert ends, green grass grows.
- 4. When others cease their struggle, then mine will begin, and my harvest will be full.
- 5. For now I know one of the greatest principles of success; if I persist long enough I will win.
- 参考答案：1. 踏上第一千步的时候，我仍然可能遭遇失败。但成功就藏在下一个拐角后面。
ext A / Comprehension
A. Decide whether the following statements are true or false. If a statement is false, try to supply a true one.
1. I will eventually succeed at the thousandth step on the road to success.
2.If I should accumulate bit by bit, I will build my castle one brick at a time, no matter how difficult it is.
3. I will never consider defeat but I won’t remove such foolish words from my vocabulary.
4. Today’s misfortune will lead to tomorrow’s good luck.
5.I may still keep my faith and never give up while others are quitting.
1.F I may still encounter failure at the thousandth step, yet success hides behind the next bend in the road.
3. F I will never consider defeat and I will remove from my vocabulary such words and phrases as quit, cannot, unable, impossible, out of the question, improbable, failure, unworkable, hopeless, and retreat; for they are the words of fools.
B. Complete the statements that follow the questions.
1. Where can you find success?
Success hides___________. Never will I know how close it lies unless I turn the corner.
2. In what way, according to the author, can you cut down a mighty oak with a blade?
Each blow, of itself, may be trifling, and seem of no consequence. Yet ____________ the oak will eventually tumble.
3. Why will you keep your eye on the goals and ignore the obstacles at your feet?
I will ignore the obstacles at my feet and keep my eye on the goals above my head, for I know that ____________________.
4. What can you do in the face of each obstacle?
Each obstacle I will consider as_____________.
5. Why will you attempt to achieve one more sale when each day is ended?
Because I never regard whether, ____________ but always focus on getting nearer to my goal.
6. What is a great principle of success according to the text?
I will ____________until I succeed.
1. behind the next bend in the road
2. from childish swipes
3. where dry desert ends, green grass grows
4. a mere detour to my goal and a challenge to my profession
5. it has been a success or a failure
Vocabulary Building / Exercises
A. Match the definitions in Column B with the words in Column A.
B. Fill in each of the following blanks with the proper form of the given words.
1. For years, his_________ (persistence) attempts had enabled him to gain the position in the government.
2. A severe flood struck the food base of the city and___________ (consequence) caused a shortage of food.
3. Under the________ (brighten) moon, he told her his love story.
4. Because of his_________ (probable) and unexpected victory in the contest, his mother cried.
5. Her experience shows how thoughts and behavior affect the good and bad _________(misfortune) we have in our lives.
6. Take it easy; it is just a _______. (trifling)
7. Do not ________ (undertaking) a project unless you can implement it.
8. The doctor will________ (prescribed) some medicine for you
A. Complete each of the following sentences with an attributive clause.
1. The girl ______________(你想娶的)stole my wallet yesterday.
2. I hate the hotel (我住过的)____________.
3. I will never forget the autumn (我们共同生活和学习的那个秋天)____________.
4. Is there anything (我能帮你的)_____________？
5. (正像老师昨天告诉我的那样)____________, he didn’t pass the exam.
6. We are studying business English,_____________ (这将来对我们非常有用).
7. He is the very worker __________________(我们昨天在报纸上见到照片的).
8. I never really understand the reason _________________(他为什么犯这样一个严重的错误).
1. whom you want to marry
2. in which / where I stayed
3. in which / when we studied and lived together
4. that I can do for you
5. As the teacher told me yesterday
6. which is very useful for us in the future
7. whose picture we saw in the newspaper yesterday
8.for which / why he made such a serious mistake
Text B / Comprehension
A. Choose the best answer for each of the following statements or questions.
1. The adolescent girl from Tennessee felt ________ when she was standing on the stage of a drama summer camp.
A. happy B. confused C. excited D. depressed
2. When Reese Witherspoon was six, she hoped to be ________.
A. a country singer B. a film producer
C. an American actress D. a folk dancer
3. According to the text, which city is Reese Witherspoon’s hometown?
A. New York. B. Nashville. C. Hollywood. D. Stanford.
4. Reese Witherspoon recognized that she was not the typical “Hollywood type”, therefore she ________.
A. lost her passion for dream B. improved her looks
C. tried to be sexy D. played to her strength
5. Reese Witherspoon went back home, worked hard in school and was accepted by ________.
A. a film company B. a record company
C. Yale University D. Stanford University
6. Reese Witherspoon ________ while playing the wife of country music star Johnny Cash.
A. was very nervous on the set B. hated the singing scene
C. was quite sophisticated D. gave up the movie
Key: 1. D 2. A 3.B 4. D 5. D 6.A
B. Decide whether the following statements are true or false. If a statement is false, try to supply a true one.
1. Reese Witherspoon is known for her outstanding performance as an actress and country singer.
2. Reese Witherspoon won the Oscar Award for her role in the movie Walk the Line.
3.Reese Witherspoon got her coaches’ praise and her parents’ compliments at the end of the summer camp.
4. At age 18, Reese Witherspoon got a part in the movie Pleasantville.
5. In Walk the Line, Reese Witherspoon played the role of a lawyer with beauty, money and charm.
6. The importance of realizing your dreams is a life lesson you can learn from Witherspoon.
1. F 2. T 3. F 4. F 5. F 6. F
A. Read the following passage and choose the best answer for each blank.
After hearing a story from my Chinese teacher I have changed my opinion on failure. It was a story about a girl who always succeeded and never 1 . Luck never 2 . Her life was totally perfect until she 3 __working. She found she could not stand any 4 in her work, and she envied either her boss or any colleague who was better than her. At last she went mad, only because she was always thinking that she had no 5 , she was the best one.
I’ve really learned something from this story that failure can easily defeat a person who seldom fails or never learns 6 from it; yet it can never 7 the wings of a person who is strong-willed and always tries to get something from it. Although sometimes it is true that failure stabs you to the heart, it gives you power and 8 you grow up and have strong will. It also teaches you to be calm and never 9 when you are in trouble.
So don’t be afraid of failure. If you think you are on the right 10 , just keep on doing it and you will succeed one day.
1. A. failed B. suffered C. blamed D. disappointed
2. A. turned to her B. went against her C. threw her off D. got across her
3. A. started B. kept C. meant D. continued
4. A. failure B. envy C. criticism D. weakness
5. A. advantage B. progress C. reputation D. defect
6. A. achievements B. appreciations C. lessons D. classes
7. A. keep off B. break up C. take out D. carry off
8. A. encourages B. helps C. requires D. urges
9. A. frustrate B. discourage C. defeat D. complain
10. A. track B. mind C. opinion D. idea
1.A 2.C 3.A 4.C 5.D 6.C 7.B 8.B 9.A 10.A
B. Translate the following sentences into English.
1. 我不会因为失败而绝望地放弃自己的理想。(in despair)
2. 在大多数情况下，不去尝试便不能肯定我们能够做些什么。(make an attempt to do)
3. 她把注意力集中在如何发现自己的优点上。(focus on)
4. 虽然经历了很多失败，她还是努力建立自信。(build up)
5. 无论别人说什么，我们都将坚持自己的梦想。(hold to)
1. I will not give up my ideals in despair because of failure.
2. In most cases, we are not sure what we can do if we do not make an attempt to do it.
3. She focused her attention on how to find her advantages.
4. In spite of numerous defeats, she still worked hard to build up her self-confidence.
5. No matter what is said by others, we will hold to our dreams.
C. Translate the following sentences into Chinese.
I will never consider defeat and I will remove from my vocabulary such words and phrases as quit, cannot, unable, impossible, out of the question, improbable, failure, unworkable, hopeless, and retreat; for they are the words of fools. I will avoid despair, but if this disease of the mind should infect me then I will work on in despair. I will toil and I will endure.
Practical Reading and Writing
A. Complete the answer (in no more than three words) to each of the following questions.
1. What is the thing the author complains about?
There is something wrong with ______________.
2. What is the problem?
Even after the high-power cooking period, the food in the microwave oven still _________.
3. What does the author think causes the problem?
He thinks there must be something wrong with ________ .
4. Does this problem affect the author’s life?
Yes, this problem has affected life ___________.
5. Does the author want to change the product to a new one?
No, he just wants the manager to ___________as soon as possible.
1. the microwave oven
2. remained cold
3. its mechanism
4. his normal
5. send a repairman
B. Write a letter of complaint based on the following information. You should write at least 70 words. Follow the example you have read and pay close attention to the writing tips given above.