大学英语 新标准高职实用综合教程（第2版）第三册 Unit 08
- Unit 08 : Harry Potter > Listening and Watching > Listening
- 1. Who is Daniel?
Daniel is the actor who has been Harry Potter for 10 years.
2. What souvenirs did Daniel take from the Harry Potter films?
He took two pairs of .
3. Of which Harry Potter film does Daniel have the best memory?
He has his best Harry Potter memory from the film.
4. What is the scene in that film that gave Daniel the best memory?
It was the scene where he burst out of the water in the cave, surrounded by a ring of .
5. Does Daniel want to play in another Harry Potter film?
No. He thinks that playing Harry Potter for ten years is .
- 正确答案：1. playing 2. glasses 3. sixth 4. fire 5. enough
W: Daniel, you have been playing Harry Potter for 10 years. How does it feel now that the Harry Potter films are coming to an end?
M: Obviously, toward the end, it was very emotional. We all cried a lot. The first month away from the film was very strange.
W: Did you take any souvenirs from the films?
M: I only wanted Harry’s glasses. I ended up getting two pairs of the glasses. I have one pair without glass from the seventh film, and I also got a pair with glass from the very first film. I’m very happy with them.
W: What’s your best Harry Potter memory from the past 10 years?
M: Well, it was the scene in the sixth film where I burst out of the water in the cave, surrounded by a ring of fire. It’s a lot of fun, and I’ll miss that, certainly.
W: If there were another Harry Potter book, would you want to star in that next film?
M: No, probably not. Ten years is enough. I think the films have come to reach a rather perfect and wonderful conclusion.
Unit 08 : Harry Potter > Text Study > Text A
- The Vanishing Glass
Unit 08 : Harry Potter > Key to Book Exercises
Text A / Comprehension
A. Complete the following sentences orally according to the text, and then work with your
partner and take turns asking and answering the questions orally.
1. Where did Harry, Dudley, and Piers go after lunch?
After lunch, they went to the reptile house.
2. What did they find there?
There they found all sorts of snakes.
3. Why did Uncle Vernon knock on the glass?
Uncle Vernon knocked on the glass because Dudley wanted him to make the snake move.
4. What did the snake do when Harry said “It must be really annoying”?
The snake nodded in agreement.
5. Why did Piers and Dudley leap back in horror when they were leaning up close to the
They leapt back because the glass in front of the snake had vanished and the big snake was moving rapidly, sliding out on to the floor.
B. Choose the best answer for each of the following statements or questions according to the text.
1. When Dudley found the big snake, it was ________.
A. wrapping its body around Uncle Vernon’s car
B. playing with a trash can
C. in a bad mood
2. Most probably it was ________ that lived in a cupboard as a bedroom.
A. the big snake
D. Uncle Vernon
3. The big snake was born in ________.
A. the reptile house
B. a cupboard
D. the zoo
4. When Piers and Dudley were leaning close to the glass to look at the snake, the glass ________.
A. fell hard on the floor
C. was broken
D. was moving rapidly
5. Most probably, what happened to the glass?
A. Piers and Dudley knocked the glass broken.
B. The big snake broke the glass.
C. The glass vanished as Harry wished unconsciously.
D. The zoo keeper removed the glass so that visitors could look at the big snake closely.
Key: D C D B C
Vocabulary Building / Exercises
A. Match the words in the left-hand column with the Chinese meanings on the right.
B. Fill in each of the following blanks with the proper form of the given word.
1. I thought it would rain, but the clouds have _____ (vanish) and it turns out a fine day.
2. Tom always______ (bully) smaller boys.
3. I had expected the book to be_______ (boredom), but it turned out to be so interesting!
4. Please don’t ______ (disturbing) me while I’m working.
5. He_______ (lean) against the big tree, absorbed in a book.
6. We’re______ (annoying) at his cold treatment of his old friends.
7. The door is locked, so______ (plain) they must be out.
8. Make your_______ (exit) through the door at the back of the stage.
Grammar Tips / Exercises
A. Translate the following sentences into English by making use of inversion.
Here comes our teacher.
He did not take any money with him, nor did I.
Behind the teaching building is the library.
Only in this way can we finish the task today.
Hardly had we got to the dormitory when it began to rain.
B. Choose the best answer to complete each of the following sentences.
1. Not until all the fish died in the river ________ how polluted the water was.
A. did the people realize
B. the people realized
C. the people did realize
D. didn’t the people realize
2. It is necessary that not only ________ to see a doctor but also stay at home for a good sleep.
A. you should go
B. did you go
C. can you go
D. should you go
3. Nowhere else in the world ________ such a quiet, beautiful place.
A. can there be
B. you can find
C. there can be
D. can find you
4. It was very careless of Tom to have forgotten to take his homework to school.
— My goodness! ________.
A. So did I
B. So I did
C. So was I
D. So were you
5. ________ our bus. We’ll have to wait for the next.
A. Here comes
B. It comes
C. There goes
D. Here goes
Key: A D A A C
Text B / Comprehension
A. Answer the following questions according to the text.
1. How long did it take J. K. Rowling to write the first Harry Potter book?
It took J. K. Rowling five years to write the first Harry Potter book.
2. Why did the author want to write the Harry Potter story as a seven-book series?
She decided that it would take seven years, from the age of 11-17, to train as a wizard, and each of the books would deal with a year of Harry’s life at Hogwarts.
3. How does the author come up with the unique names for the characters in the Harry Potter books?
Many of the names are made up. The author also collect unusual names, and she takes them from all sorts of different places.
4. What is the theme that runs through all seven Harry Potter books?
The theme running through all seven books is the fight between good an evil.
5. What was J. K. Rowling’s favorite book when she was a child?
In her childhood, her favorite book was the Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge.
B. Judge whether each of the following statements is true or false. Write T if it is true, or F if false.
1. T The author got the idea for Harry Potter on the train.
2. T The author was also writing some parts of other Harry Potter books when she wrote the first one.
3. T The Harry Potter books will include stories about Harry Potter at age 17.
4. F The author had a plan to write a more interesting book after her Harry Potter books.
5. T The author had written some novels for grown-ups before she wrote the Harry Potter story.
6. F The author’s daughter enjoyed reading the Harry Potter books very much.
A. Choose the best answer to complete each of the following sentences.
1. The troops stopped at a ________ roughly 1,000 yards from the river.
2. The campus is ________ from what it was 20 years ago.
3. I’m looking forward to ________ from you soon.
4. The young man has ________ some money each month in order to buy an apartment of his own.
A. put aside
B. put up
C. put in
D. put on
5. Please ________ when his plane will arrive.
B. find up
C. find out
D. find at
6. Hardly had the teacher left the classroom ________ the trouble started.
7. At no time ________ be left unlocked.
A. the door should
B. the door
C. should the door
D. the door had to
8. I was unable to sleep because of the ________ noises from upstairs.
Key: C D B A C A C A
B. Fill in the blanks with the words given below.
In 1998, Joanne Kathleen Rowling first introduced readers to Harry in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. The book charmed readers, young and old alike . So far, the first six books have sold 300 million copies worldwide.
Life is pretty good for the author , who is today one of Britain’s richest women. But her life wasn’t always so magical. She was born in 1965 near Bristol, England. She worked as a secretary and a teacher, but then fell on hard times. Unemployed, she struggled to support herself and her 7-year-old daughter. Inspiration struck in 1990 on a delayed train between Manchester and London. The idea for Harry just “fell into my head,” she says.
Rowling lives in Edinburgh, Scotland, with her husband and three children. In 2004, Forbes magazine estimated that Rowling was a billionaire, which would make her the first person ever to become a billionaire from writing books.
C. Translate the following sentences into English using the words or phrases given.
1. 许多读者期待着能早一天看到下一本哈利·波特故事。(look forward to)
Many readers are looking forward to reading the next Harry Potter book.
Many people like this movie, but I think it is boring. / Many people like this movie, but I find it boring.
It’s very time-consuming to read this thick novel.
4. 现在，我已经把这本书看了一半。(At the moment)
At the moment, I’m half way through the book. / At the moment, I have finished reading half of the book.
The Harry Potter stories were so popular that even the writer herself was surprised.
D. Translate the following sentences into Chinese.
1. He wouldn’t have been surprised if it had died of boredom itself — no friend except stupid people knocking their fingers on the glass trying to disturb it all day long.
2. What came next happened so fast that no one saw how it happened.
3. I always conceived it as a seven-book series because I decided that it would take seven years, from the ages of 11–17, to train as a wizard.
4. How do you come up with all the unique names, places, and things that help make Harry Potter so interesting?
5. After lunch they went to the reptile house. It was cool and dark in there, with lighted windows all along the walls. Behind the glass, all sorts of snakes were crawling and sliding over bits of wood and stone. Dudley and Piers wanted to see the huge snakes, and Dudley quickly found the largest snake in the place. It could have wrapped its body twice around Uncle Vernon’s car and crushed it into a trash can — but at the moment it didn’t look in the mood. In fact, it was asleep.
Practical Reading and Writing / Exercises
A. Complete the answers (in no more than three words) to each of the following questions.
1. Where did Harry go in the afternoon?
Harry went with Dudley and Piers to the reptile house .
2. What did they find in the place?
They found the largest snake there.
3. What was the snake doing when they found it?
The snake was asleep .
4. What happened when Harry looked at the snake?
The snake communicated with him with the motion of its body.
5. What happened when Dudley and Piers stood close to the glass to take a look at the snake?
The glass mysteriously vanished and the snake escaped.
B. The following is a summary of An Interview with J. K. Rowling. Read the original text carefully, and then complete the summary below. You should write your answers briefly (in no more than three words).
In the interview, J. K. Rowling reveals that she got the idea for Harry Potter on a long (1)______. It took her (2)________ to writer the first book. She plans to write a (3)_______ series, and her future books will continue to focus on the fight between (4)________ as the theme. In her book, many of the interesting names are (5)________ or collected over time. She always wanted to be a writer ever since her childhood. The Harry Potter book is her first (6)_________ book. At the moment she is putting all her time and energy on the Harry Potter books. As a writer, she is (7) ________ by E. Nesbit, Paul Gallico, C. S. Lewis, and Elizabeth Goudge. She often reads children’s books to her daughter, and she wishes that she could (8) ________ her own books with her daughter soon.
1. train journey 2. five years 3. seven-book
4. good and evil 5. made up 6. published
7. influenced 8. share