- Unit 06 : Attitudes and Happiness > Listening and Watching > Listening
- You will hear a recorded passage. After that you will hear five questions. Both the passage and the questions will be read twice. When you hear a question, you should complete the answer to it with a word or a short phrase (in no more than three words). The questions and incomplete answers are printed in the textbook for your reference.
- 1. What is the first secret of happiness?
The first secret of happiness is that we should always be .
2. What is the second secret of happiness?
The second secret is to that happiness is a of something else.
3. What would happen if you have more passion?
The more passion you have, the more happiness you are .
4. What is the third secret of happiness?
The third secret is to believe that has some larger meaning, which can help us be happier.
5. What do you need to do if you want to be happy?
If you choose to find in your life, you will be happy.
- 正确答案：1. grateful 2. realize, byproduct 3. likely to experience 4. our existence 5. the positive
How to remain happy? One secret is that we should always be grateful. All happy people are grateful. Ungrateful people cannot be happy. We tend to think that being unhappy leads people to complain, but it is truer to say that complaining leads to unhappiness.
Another secret is to realize that happiness is a byproduct of something else. The most obvious sources are those pursuits that give our lives purpose, anything from studying insects to playing baseball. The more passion you have, the more happiness you are likely to experience.
Finally, believing that our existence has some larger meaning can help us be happier. We need a philosophy of life that should include this belief: If you choose to find the positive in your life, you will be happy, and if you choose to find the awful, you will be unhappy. This is largely your decision.
- Unit 06 : Attitudes and Happiness > Text Study > Text A
- Attitude Is Everything
- 1 杰瑞的心情总是很好，而且他总说些积极向上的话。如果有人问他最近如何，他会回答：“我好得不能再好了！”
- 2 他是个很独特的经理，因为当他从一家餐馆跳槽到另一家餐馆时，总是有几个男服务员跟随着他。这几位服务员跟随着杰瑞，因为他天生会激励人。如果某个员工碰到了不顺心的事，杰瑞就会教他如何看待事情乐观的一面。
- 3 我对此人非常好奇，于是有一天就问他，“我真不明白，你总不可能一直乐观吧。你是如何保持住这种积极乐观的心态的呢？”
- 4 杰瑞回答道，“每天早晨我醒来就对自己说，‘杰瑞，你今天有两种选择：你可以选择好心情，也可以选择坏心情。’我选择好心情。每次有糟糕的事情发生时，我可以选择当个受害者，也可以从中吸取经验；我选择从中吸取经验。每当有人向我抱怨时，我可以选择接受怨言，也可以指出生活中积极乐观的一面；我选择指出生活中积极乐观的一面。”
- 5 生活就是不断地选择。每种情况都是个选择，由你来选择如何应对，由你来选择别人对你心情的影响。可以选好心情，可以选坏心情。如何生活是你自己的选择。我回味着杰瑞所说的话。
- 6 不久，我离开了餐饮业，开始自己创业。我们失去了联系。不过，每当我面临着人生中的抉择时，就会想起他。几年后，我听说有一次杰瑞忘了关后门，强盗乘机进门抢劫，杰瑞受到枪击，严重受伤。幸运的是，人们很快发现了杰瑞，赶紧将他送到了当地的医院。经过了18个小时的手术和好几个星期的特别护理，杰瑞终于出院了。此事发生后约6个月，我见到了杰瑞。我问他感觉如何，他回答说，“好得不能再好了。想看看我的伤疤吗？”
- 7 我没看他的伤疤，而是问他抢劫发生时他心里在想什么。“我首先想到的是，我应该把后门锁上，”杰瑞回答道，“后来，我倒在地板上，这时我想到我有两种选择：我可以选择生，也可以选择死。我选择了生。”
- 8 “难道你不害怕吗？”我问。杰瑞接着说，“急救护理人员都很棒。他们不断对我说我会好起来的。但当他们将我送入急救室时，医生们的表情把我吓坏了。我看到他们的眼神仿佛在说，‘这个人完了。’”
- 9 “我知道我必须采取行动。”“你怎么办的？”我问。“嗯，护士问我是否对什么过敏，”杰瑞说，“我回答‘是的’。这时医生和护士都停下了手中的工作，等着我回答。我大声叫道，‘子弹！’”
- 10 “在他们的笑声中，我告诉他们，‘我要活下去。给我动手术吧，把我当成活人，别把我当做死人。”由于医生高超的医术，更是由于杰瑞积极乐观的人生态度，他活了下来。从杰瑞的身上，我懂得了，我们可以选择充实地过好每一天。毕竟，态度决定一切。
- Unit 06 : Attitudes and Happiness > Key to Book Exercises
Text A / Comprehension
Complete the following sentences orally according to the text, and then work with your partner and take turns asking and answering the questions orally.
- Why did some waiters follow Jerry from restaurant to restaurant?
The waiters followed Jerry from restaurant to restaurant because he was a natural motivator.
- What happened to Jerry several years after the author started his own business?
Jerry was shot and badly wounded in a robbery.
- What action did Jerry take when he saw the hopeless expressions of the doctors?
He made a joke by saying that he was allergic to bullets when a nurse asked him whether he was allergic to anything.
- What saved Jerry’s life?
Jerry survived because of the skill of his doctors and his own positive attitude toward life.
- According to the author, how important is a positive attitude to a happy life?
According to the author, attitude is everything to a happy life.
Choose the best answer for each of the following statements or questions according to the text.
- By Jerry’s example, you should choose to ________ if your friends come to you complaining about life.
- accept their complaining
- complain together with them
- point out the positive side of life
- appear very happy about your own life
- What did the writer learn from Jerry?
- A positive person should start his or her own business.
- Life is all about choices.
- You will not die if you are always positive and happy.
- A positive attitude will save one’s life.
- Jerry offered to show his scars to the writer when they met again. It shows ________.
- Jerry was proud of being shot
- Jerry was happy about his experience
- Jerry was positive about life after the accident
- Jerry had completely recovered
- Was Jerry scared in the accident?
- No, he wasn’t. Because he was more concerned with the locking of the backdoor than his life.
- No, he wasn’t. Because the paramedics were great.
- Yes, he was. Because he saw the serious expressions of the doctors.
- Yes, he was. Because the nurse asked whether he was allergic to anything.
- What is the lesson from Jerry’s story?
- Life is full of accidents and possibilities.
- A positive attitude is very important in life.
- There is nothing to worry about in life.
- Happiness brings about good luck in life.
Key: 1. C 2. B 3.C 4. C 5. B
Vocabulary Building / Exercises
Match the words in the left-hand column with the Chinese meanings on the right.
Fill in each of the following blanks with the proper form of the given word.
- The _________ of the machine is easy. (operate)
- The baby is very _________ about the moving pictures on the TV. (curiously)
- He went home after being _________ from the prison. (release)
- The policeman tried to catch the two _________.(robbery)
- The baby is _________ to milk products. (allergy)
- One of the _________ is now working at your company. (twin)
- His failure on the math exam _________ him to study harder. (motivator)
- As an _________ worker, he is often praised by his boss. (industry)
Grammar Tips /Exercises
- Translate the following sentences into English by using the word “it.”
It is a pity that you missed that concert.
It’s Friday today.
It’s raining heavily outside.
It is very difficult for me to translate this article into English.
It was the president himself who / that answered my question.
Choose the best answer to complete each of the following sentences.
Text B / Comprehension
Answer the following questions according to the text.
- What is Ed Deiner? What is the subject of his study?
Ed Deiner is a psychology professor at the University of Illinois in the US. He has spent his whole professional life studying what makes people happy, comparing levels of happiness between cultures and trying to find out exactly why we enjoy enjoying ourselves.
- In Professor Deiner’s opinion, what is the difference between Westerners and Asians in the pursuit of happiness?
According to Professor Deiner, Westerners pursue individual happiness while Asians prefer mutual satisfaction.
- Average income earners in the US were much happier than people in poverty. From this statement, what conclusion can we draw about the relationship between income and happiness?
From this statement, we may conclude that income also makes a big difference to people’s happiness.
- Why are the Scandinavian countries amongst the happiest that Professor Deiner studies?
The Scandinavian countries are amongst the happiest because their incomes are high but also spread fairly evenly.
- How does the writer define individual happiness in this article?
In this article, the author defines individual happiness as the sense of joy we get when we do something we like.
Judge whether each of the following statements is true or false according to the text. Write T if it is true, or F if false.
T 1. Professor Deiner has devoted himself to the study of what makes people happy.
F 2. At a higher level, income made a big difference to people’s happiness.
T 3. According to Professor Deiner, people’s happy mood may have a positive influence on their health.
T 4. Happiness means different things in different cultures.
F 5. Millionaires were much happier than people on average incomes.
T 6. Some people may feel unhappy because ordinary happiness is not good enough for them.
Choose the best answer to complete each of the following sentences.
- Fill in the blanks with the words given below.
|that it no in
result most however opposite
I was not a particularly happy child. Like most teenagers, I was often angry. One day, however , it occurred to me that I was taking the easy way out. Anyone could be unhappy; it took no courage or effort. True achievement lay in struggling to be happy. The idea that we have to work at happiness comes as news to many people. We assume it is a feeling that comes as a result of good things that just happen to us, things over which we have little or no control. But the opposite is true: happiness is largely under our control. It is a battle to be fought and not a feeling to be awaited.
Translate the following sentences into English using the words or phrases given.
I believe we will succeed through our mutual efforts.
- 她必须在出国留学还是留在国内工作之间做出选择。(make a choice)
She must make a choice between studying abroad or working at home.
We should have a positive attitude toward life.
- 每天早上她的情绪都非常好。(cheerful mood)
She is in a cheerful mood every morning.
- 我不赞成浪费时间去抱怨。(approve of)
I don’t approve of wasting our time in complaining.
Translate the following sentences into Chinese.
- Jerry was always in a good mood and had something positive to say.
- Every time someone comes to me complaining, I can choose to accept their complaining or I can point out the positive side of life.
- Ed Deiner has spent his whole professional life studying what makes people happy, comparing levels of happiness between cultures and trying to find out exactly why we enjoy enjoying ourselves.
- Millionaires were only a little bit happier than people on average incomes.
- Another secret is realizing that happiness is a byproduct of something else. The most obvious sources are those pursuits that give our lives purpose, anything from studying insects to playing baseball. The more passion you have, the more happiness you are likely to experience.
Practical Reading and Writing /Exercises
Complete the answer (in no more than three words) to each of the following questions.
- What is the applicant?
She is a student of Business English at Shanghai City University.
- How is her health condition?
Her health is good .
- What qualifications does she have?
She can speak and write good English.
- Why is she applying to a business company?
She wants to have some practical experience before she starts a career in the business world.
- What does she want to do at the company?
She is willing to do anything that could use her English skills .
You are required to fill out the following application form according to the instructions given in Chinese.
出 生 地： 南京
|Family Name: Zhang
||First Name: Qiusheng
|Date of Birth: June 18, 1991
|Place of Birth: Nanjing
|Telephone Number: 025-8866****
||Address: 28* Guanghua Road, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210000
|Education||East China University
|Reasons for Application: I was admitted into the Department of Foreign Languages of East China University in 2009. I majored in English, and I did well both in my major and in the several international trade courses which I took as my minor subjects. I would appreciate it very much if you could give me an opportunity to work in your company. I am confident that I could do a good job and contribute positively to its success.|