- Unit 03 : Role Models > Listening and Watching > Listening
- You will hear a recorded passage. After that you will hear five questions. Both the passage and the questions will be read twice. When you hear a question, you should complete the answer to it with a word or a short phrase (in no more than three words). The questions and incomplete answers are printed in the textbook for your reference.
- 1. Why are role models important for young people?
Role models are important for young people because a role model can help them what they want to become when they .
2. What do young people look for when they find their role models?
They look to role models for in life.
3. What do young people learn from their role models?
They learn everything from how they spend their to how they react toward others.
4. Who can be good role models to students?
can be wonderful role models to young people who spend much of their day at school.
5. Why should teachers try to be the best people they can be?
They should try to be the best people they can be because children are watching how they act and every sort of situation.
- 正确答案：1. decide, grow up 2. guidance 3. free time 4. Teachers 5. react to
Positive role models are important for young people because a role model can help them decide what they want to become when they grow up.
Young people watch others and imitate their behaviors, whether that be a parent or a teacher. They look to role models for guidance in life. They learn from their role models everything from how they spend their free time to how they react toward others. Positive role models are important because they give young people someone to look up to.
Teachers can be wonderful role models to young people who spend much of their day at school. If you work with children, focus on being the best person you can be, knowing that children are watching how you act and react to every sort of situation.
- Unit 03 : Role Models > Text Study > Text A
- Whom Should I Follow
- 1 当考虑谁能做我的楷模的时候，我意识到我所认识的人中有不少都能给我以启发。但与我分享想法的人不会认识我的朋友、嫂子或那个与我一起工作的女孩。所以，我想应该写位名人。但现在似乎没有多少可供选择的优秀楷模，至少是没有多少我们通常所认为的具有“典型”意义的楷模。
- 2 我的楷模必须符合几条标准。首先，她必须和我年龄相仿。其次，她必须克服过一些困难；换句话说，她的“名人”地位不是别人给的。最后，她必须时时帮助别人。
- 3 我相信，奥普拉•温弗雷完全符合这些标准。
- 4 奥普拉•温弗雷早年生活困难。她出生于1954年，妈妈是个贫穷的未婚黑人女孩。妈妈移居北方后，有一段时间奥普拉由外婆抚养。她受过虐待，生过孩子，后来孩子夭折了；此后，她来到纳什维尔，和父亲生活在一起。
- 5 奥普拉的成名始于她主持的早间脱口秀节目，如《早安，芝加哥》。由于她很受欢迎，于是她于1986年推出了《奥普拉•温弗雷脱口秀》。接着，又自己开公司，经营《奥普拉•温弗雷脱口秀》。
- 6 1994年奥普拉做的一件事赢得了我的尊重。她决定打破其他日间脱口秀的风格，并承诺自己的节目将摒弃煽情而无聊的话题。观众对此反应积极，因而她的名气一路飙升。《奥普拉•温弗雷脱口秀》现在所关注的是一些有意义的话题，其中许多是针对女性的。
- 7 奥普拉利用自己的名气，创办了许多很有意义的项目。1996年，她创办了“奥普拉读书会”，旨在重新激发国民对文学的兴趣。1997年，她创建了“奥普拉天使网”，鼓励人们向需要帮助的人敞开心扉。该组织的一项活动是，募集零钱支持贫困学生上大学。
- 8 奥普拉一直和他人分享她的好运；她信守诺言，她的《奥普拉•温弗雷节目》一直关注能够激励观众的话题。她的每周话题包括精神信仰、身体保健、人际关系以及如何获得财政独立等。
- 9 温弗雷在公众场合的表演天赋和回答问题时的敏捷思路为她赢得了赞誉。据估计，《奥普拉•温弗雷脱口秀》在美国每天有1,400万观众。同时，她还是一名成功的演员，她在《紫色》中扮演的角色曾获得过“奥斯卡奖”提名。
- 10 我钦佩奥普拉，因为她就像个“平凡的女生”。有一次，我参加一个讲座，演讲者是奥普拉喜爱的一位作家。讲座前听众纷纷入座，这时进来了几位黑人妇女。我朋友说，“瞧，奥普拉来了。”我说，“不会的，那不是奥普拉。”她说，“是的，就是她。”结果，那人真是奥普拉，她看上去和我们没什么两样。在演讲者介绍她的时候，她还有点不好意思，要站起来。
- 11 我觉得奥普拉是个好人，是个可以做朋友的人。她知道自己的目标。她为自己赢得了名誉，并懂得与他人分享。
- Unit 03 : Role Models > Key to Book Exercises
Text A / Comprehension
- Complete the following sentences orally according to the text, and then work with your partner and take turns asking and answering the questions orally.
- What are the standards for the author to choose her role model?
First, she must be close to the author’s age. Second, have overcome some difficulties. Finally, she must be helping others.
- What does author mean by “She has to have overcome some difficulties”?
The author means that her role model should not have her “celebrity” status handed to her.
3.What was the first show that made Oprah Winfrey famous?
Oprah’s rise to fame began with her hosting morning talk shows, such as A.M. Chicago.
- What kind of topics was The Oprah Winfrey Show centered on?
The Oprah Winfrey Show was centered on meaningful subjects, many of which are aimed towards women.
- In the author’s opinion, what kind of person is Oprah Winfrey?
The author thinks that Oprah Winfrey is a really nice person, someone who would be a great girl friend. She knows where she is going.
Choose the best answer for each of the following statements or questions according to the text.
What kind of people might become a role model for the writer?
Ordinary people like her sister-in-law might be her role model.
Only famous people like Oprah Winfrey could be her role model.
A lot of famous people could be her role model.
There are not any good role model among the people she knows personally.
The writer chooses to write about Oprah Winfrey as her role model because ________.
Oprah was born with a celebrity status
Oprah is much more mature than the writer
Oprah has been helping others
Oprah is beautiful and talented
What did Oprah Winfrey do with her talk show that gained the writer’s respect?
She decided to break away from daytime talk shows.
Her talk show focused on meaningful topics.
Her talk show was centered on sensational topics aimed towards women.
The popularity of her talk show went up.
Which of the following was not started by Oprah Winfrey?
Oprah’s Angel Network
Oprah’s Book Club
The Academy Award
What impressed the writer most at a lecture given by one of Oprah Winfrey’s favorite authors?
Oprah looked very beautiful.
Oprah was almost embarrassed.
Oprah appeared to be very ordinary.
Oprah showed great talent for public performance.
Key: 1. A 2. C 3. B 4. D 5. C
Vocabulary Building / Exercises
- Match the words in the left-hand column with the Chinese meanings on the right.
- Fill in each of the following blanks with the proper form of the given word.
- Making a public speech can be _______ (embarrass) to some people.
- When it comes to computer, he is the most ______ (talent) person in our company.
- Please tell us your point of _______ (viewer) on this issue.
- Shanghai is a _______ (finance) center.
- That academic conference was _______ (host) by our university last year.
- His article caused a________ (sensational).
- She _______ (share) her secrets with her friend.
- His example________ (inspiration) me greatly.
Grammar Tips / Exercises
- Translate the following sentences into English.
I did not tell this to anybody. / I told this to nobody.
He does not play computer games any longer. / He no longer plays computer games.
I know neither of the two persons. / I did not know the two persons.
I don’t understand all the sentences in this paragraph.
I don’t understand any sentence in this paragraph. / I understand none of the sentences in this paragraph.
Choose the best answer to complete each of the following sentences.
Text B / Comprehension
- Answer the following questions according to the text.
- Why did Nancy Gruver ask her daughter and 19 other girls to help create the magazine?
This was because Nancy Gruver believed that the best way for girl to learn about themselves and their dreams would be to explore the issues for themselves.
- Who is Angela Davis?
Angela Davis is a well-known scholar and equal-rights activist.
- What is one of the major benefits of having a role model?
One of the major benefits of having a role model is that you can look at how he or she deals with everyday situations and ask yourself what you would do.
- Why does Ryan admire Socrates?
Ryan admires Socrates because Socrates stoop up for his own beliefs and tried to live his own life.
- According to the author, who can be one’s role model?
According to the author,role models can be parents, teachers, or anyone you admire.
Judge whether each of the following statements is true or false. Write T if it is true, or F if false.
T 1. Nancy Gruver asked 20 girls to help her create the magazine.
F 2. The 1995 World Conference on Women was held in America.
T 3. Christopher Reeve is an actor who played Superman in the movies.
F 4. Role models cannot influence how much confidence you have.
T 5. You don’t have to look far for a role model.
T 6. A friend of Nia’s parents is Nia’s role model, too.
Choose the best answer to complete each of the following sentences.
Fill in the blanks with the words given below.
What’s the difference between a role model and a mentor? Role models are those you admire but don’t necessarily know personally. Mentors, on the other hand, are people you get to know. You can write or call a mentor to get advice when you need it, so mentors can play a major, active role in your life.
Once you meet a potential mentor, ask lots of questions to find out what makes that person who he or she is. What did it take to get where he or she is today? What challenges does the person face andhow does he or she deal with them? What lessons has the person learned? Most people are happy to share their experiences; in fact, most people who are mentors had mentors themselves. So they know that having a mentor can change your life.
Translate the following sentences into English using the words or phrases given.
- 我们每个年轻人都应该有自己的角色楷模。(role model)
We young people should all have our own role models.
- 这位科学家努力工作，取得了很多成就，为我们树立了一个好榜样。(accomplishment, set an example for)
This scientist set a good example for us with his hard work and many accomplishments.
- 要完成这项任务，你必须一步一步地做。(step by step)
To finish this task, you must do it step by step.
The lecturer shared his experience with his audience.
Her success is a great inspiration to me.
Translate the following sentences into Chinese.
- As I think about who might be my role model, I realize that there are a lot of people I know personally that I could look to for inspiration.
- I admire Oprah because she seems to be “just a regular girl.”
- Role models can also influence how much confidence you have in your ability to succeed.
- “In school, it has always been easy for me to just get by,” Nolan says, “but I always try to go the extra step and do my best work.”
- Young people watch others and imitate their behaviors, whether that be a parent or a teacher. They look to role models for guidance in life. They learn from their role models everything from how they spend their free time to how they react toward others. Positive role models are important because they give young people someone to look up to.
Practical Reading and Writing / Exercises
- Complete the answer (in no more than three words) to each of the following questions.
- Who are the host and hostess of this dinner?
The host and hostess are Mr. and Mrs. Ming Cai .
- Who are invited to the dinner?
The invited guests are Mr. and Mrs. Ted Woods .
- When will the reception take place?
The reception will take place at sixp.m., on Tuesday , the First of October.
- Where is the place for the reception?
The reception will be in the Park Hotel .
- What should Mr. and Mrs. Ted Woods do upon receiving the invitation?
Mr. and Mrs. Ted Woods are expected to replyMr. and Mrs. Ming Cai upon receiving
- You are required to write an invitation card according to the following information given in Chinese. You are to write at least 30 words.
内 容： 商务英语系学生会邀请陈中华教授于2013年11月4日(星期五)下午6点在大学生活动中心参加迎新晚会，敬请回复，电话：138********。
Words for Reference
商务英语系 Department of Business English
学生会 Student Union
迎新晚会 Welcome Party for New Students