大学英语 新标准高职实用综合教程（第2版）第二册 Unit 06
- 1 直到儿女从大学回家来过圣诞时，父母们才真正感到了代沟的存在。
- 2 “南茜，你从学校回来都三天了，怎么连房间都不打扫？”
- 3 “老妈啊，我们在学校里从来不打扫的。”
- 4 “很好，但那是在学校啊，南茜。在家里，我和你爸爸都希望你能把自己的房间打扫干净。”
- 5 “这有那么重要吗？这是我的房间。”
- 6 “我知道，亲爱的，这对妈妈来说并不那么重要，可是你爸爸非常害怕瘟疫。他今天早上说，如果我们国家真有地方爆发瘟疫的话，肯定是从你的房间开始。”
- 7 “妈，你们这些人该关心的不关心。你们知道那些大公司是怎样在污染我们的环境吗？”
- 8 “我和你爸爸当然担心了，但现在我们更担心你房间的污染，你回来后还没整理过床铺呢。”
- 9 “我在学校宿舍里从来不整理床铺。”
- 10 “我知道你不，而且相信你一定是把省下的时间用来学习了。可我们仍然抱有这样的老观念，早上要叠被子，而且摆脱不了。你在家住的时间也不长，为什么不能为了我们把床整理一下呢？”
- 11 “妈，我都长大了，你们怎么非得把我当小孩子？”
- 12 “我们没有再把你当小孩子看待。可是你把衣服都乱扔在地板上，就很难让我们觉得你已经长大了。”
- 13 “我没有把所有的衣服都扔在地板上，地板上的只是昨天穿过的。”
- 14 “那原谅妈妈夸大其辞。那你书桌上那些脏盘子、空饮料罐又怎么解释？难道是收集起来做科学实验的？”
- 15 “妈，你们不理解我们。你们的父母从小就教育你们要打扫房间，可我们这一代人从来不把这种事当回事。重要的是一个人想些什么事。”
- 16 “没有人能比我和你爸爸更重视教育的了，即使现在收费那么高我们都没在乎。可是，我们就不明白，生活在一团糟的环境中又怎么能提升你的思想境界呢？”
- 17 “那是因为你们觉得有些东西比其他事情更重要。你们宁可让我整理床铺、收拾衣服，也不愿让我成为一个思想自由、独立自主的人。好吧，如果打扫房间对你们来说这么重要的话，那我就打扫。但我想让你们知道，你们毁了我的美好假期。”
- Unit 06 : Generation Gap > Listening and Watching > Listening
- A. Choose the best answer according to what you hear.
- 正确答案：1. B 2. A 3. C 4. D 5. A
1. M: Oh, mom, would you let me go if I tidy up my room before the dance?
W: Um, maybe.
Q: What does the son want to do?2. W: How would you describe your father’s personality?
M: Well, he’s a pretty conservative person.
Q: What kind of person is the father according to the son?3. M: Mom doesn’t let you go out on dates. Everybody knows that.
W: Yes, and yet she said I was old enough to make my own decisions!
Q: What is probably the relationship between the two speakers?4. W: Bill, why do you think there is a generation gap?
M: Well, the most important reason may be that parents and their children often fail to talk with each other.
Q: What does the man think may be the major cause of the generation gap?5. W: I’m going to meet some friends, Dad.
M: But you must be home before half past ten.
Q: What time must the daughter return home?
- B. Fill in the blanks of the following passage according to what you hear.
- 正确答案：1. true 2. place 3. felt 4. faced 5. understand 6. discover
Text A / Comprehension
A. Pair Work
Complete the following sentences orally according to the text.
1. How long had Nancy been home from school for Christmas?
She had been home for three days .
2. What did Nancy’s father fear?
He feared that the plague might start in his daughter’s room .
3. What “old-fashioned” idea couldn’t Nancy’s mother shake?
The idea was that one should make the bed in the morning .
4. Why couldn’t Nancy’s mother treat her as an adult?
Because Nancy threw her clothes on the floor .
5. What was Nancy’s priority, according to the text?
Nancy’s priority was to become a free spirit who thinks for herself .
B. Main Idea
Read the text again. As you read, underline what you think are the most important ideas. Then, in one or two sentences, write the main idea of the text.
The arguments on whether it’s necessary to clean up the room between Nancy and her parents reflects a generation gap which seems hard to bridge.
Vocabulary Building / Exercises
A. Match the words in the left-hand column with the Chinese meanings on the right.
B. Fill in each blank with a given word or expression in their right form.
1. He was elected by a majority (major) of 3,240 votes.
2. What he said doesn’t seem to have much meaning (mean).
3. His belief in his own talent is unshakable (shake).
4. Here is a collection (collect) of stamps for you to enjoy.
5. The statement that he could eat fifty eggs is an exaggeration (exaggerate).
6. I refused to stay in his messy (mess) bedroom.
7. I opened a bank account for my savings (save).
8. What you are saying doesn’t have any relevance (relevant) to the matter in hand.
A. Complete the following sentences based on the information given in Chinese.
1. I have not finished all the tasks the teacher assigned last week (老师上周布置的).
2. The news I got from the newspaper (我从报纸上看到的) was disappointing.
3. He decided to leave the town where he had lived for 20 years (他已经待了二十年的).
4. I could not remember the afternoon when we visited the Palace Museum (我们参观故宫的).
5. John is the last person who might get the post (可能赢得这一岗位的).
B. Each of the following sentences contains ONE mistake. Find it out and correct it.
6. The place where interested me most was the Children’s Palace.
A B C D
7. Is there anyone in your class which family is in the country?
A B C D
8. This is the only book which I found useful to my research.
A B C D
9. The way on which he looks at problems is much too ideal.
A B C D
(A, in which)
10. The official whom we applied for a permit was most obliging.
A B C D
(B, to whom)
Text B / Comprehension
A. Answer the following questions according to the text.
1. What is crucial for Chinese parents if they want to get their children to work hard?
It is crucial for them to override their children’s preference .
2. Why do Chinese parents need to have a strong will on their part?
Because their children will resist working .
3. What can make the once not-fun activity fun?
The praise, admiration and satisfaction the children get for their good work .
4. What are Western parents extremely anxious about?
They are extremely anxious about their children’s self-esteem .
5. Why do Chinese parents not respect all of their children’s own desire and preferences?
Because they believe that they know what is best for their children .
B. Judge whether each of the following statements is true or false according to the text. Write T if it is true, or F if false.
1. Chinese children understand that nothing is fun unless one is good at it.
2. Chinese children are generally willing to work hard at studying.
3. The Chinese strategy tends to produce a virtuous circle.
4. Chinese children believe that their parents owe them everything.
5. Western parents try to respect their children’s choices, and provide them with a favorable environment.
Key: 1. F 2. F 3. F 4. F 5. T
A. Choose the best answer to complete each of the following sentences.
1. I did not like the house at the beginning but the new furniture ________ all the difference.
A. took B. made
C. did D. had
2. I stopped smoking for the ________ of health.
A. sake B. reason
C. cause D. purpose
3. You should make ________ your bed before you leave for school.
A. off B. out
C. up D. on
4. I ________ to give you the book today, but I forgot to bring it.
A. realized B. concerned
C. counted D. meant
5. She poured water all over my album, and ________ it.
A. ruined B. charged
C. changed D. recalled
6. Some people like fat meat, ________ others hate it.
A. however B. whereas
C. since D. because
7. Accidents often ________ from carelessness.
A. cause B. arise
C. lead D. trust
8. What you said just now is not the best approach ________ this problem.
A. for B. of
C. to D. against
B. Fill in the blanks with the words given below.
The “generation gap” refers to the distance and conflict between the old and the young. It is a (1) common phenomenon that exists everywhere in the world.
Very often, the generation gap will (2) result in different understandings of the changes in social life, in different reactions to new things and different attitudes to (3) traditional principles and beliefs. Take John’s family for example. Every day, John wants to get up late because he has the (4) habit of staying up late into the night. But his father often asks him to go to bed at an early hour at night and get up early in the morning. Besides, John and his father often have different ideas about doing the same thing.
The generation gap is natural but cannot be ignored. If we do not (5) deal with it properly, the gap will become wider and wider. It will affect the (6) relationship between the old and the young.
C. Translate the following sentences into English using the words or phrases you have learned in this unit.
There often exists some gap in the views on the use of money between the young and their parents.
To the old, whether the young respect them or not means a lot.
For many old people, health is the first concern.
Some parents do not have enough confidence in their children.
He feared that his parents would be against his choice.
The major cause for generation gap is the lack of communication between parents and children.
The two generations have different priorities on many important matters.
Young people need to use some strategies when their views are different from those of their parents.
D. Translate the following passage from Text B into Chinese..
Western parents try to respect their children’s individuality, encouraging them to pursue their true passions, supporting their choices, and providing a favorable environment. By contrast, the Chinese believe that the best way to protect their children is by preparing them for the future, letting them see what they’re capable of, and arming them with skills, work habits and inner confidence that no one can ever take away.
Practical Reading and Writing /Exercises
1. Write your answer to each of the following questions.
(1) Where are Ruth and Bill thinking of going this summer? (Sample 1)
They are thinking of going to Hong Kong.
(2) What time does the dinner usually start? (Sample 1)
(3) What is Mr. Smith being invited to do? (Sample 2)
To discuss with us the agreement we reached last time and inspect our warehouse.
(4) How long is Mr. Smith expected to stay? (Sample 2)
For a week or two.
2. Below are two situations that make it necessary for you to write invitation letters. Study the samples carefully before you do your own writing.
A. You are going to celebrate your 20th birthday this Saturday evening, January 25, between 6:00–8:30 p.m. at a restaurant near the campus. You wish to invite Yang Jing, your former classmate, to the birthday party.
圆角矩形: Jan. 21
Dear Yang Jing,
I’m going to have a birthday party at No. 1 restaurant near the campus this Saturday evening, Jan. 25. Naturally my celebration for my 20th birthday wouldn’t be complete without you. I hope you can come, as we could talk about the beautiful old days we spent together.
The party will start at six and last about two and a half hours. I’ll be looking forward to seeing you then.