大学英语 新标准高职实用综合教程（第2版）第二册 Unit 05
- 1 90天不用日常的电子通讯设备，你受得了吗？芝加哥一所学校24岁的学生赖利就体验了一次。周末，我通过电话跟赖利聊了这个90天不用通讯设备的计划，我问他从中获得了什么，以及这个计划是怎样改变他的生活的。
- 2 你说，你有三个月完全远离电子虚拟世界，你采取怎样的措施来实现的？
- 3 赖利：我打电话给威瑞森公司停掉了我的手机服务，并在电子邮箱的自动回复里注明“您的邮件我到年底才能收到，非常抱歉给您带来不便。”
- 4 在所谓的“阿米什人计划”之前，你一般每天花多长时间发短信和打电话？
- 5 赖利：非常糟糕。我每个月发送一千五百多条短信。我没计算过打电话的精确时间，但估计在六百分钟至九百分钟之间。
- 6 在你陈述“阿米什计划”的开场白中，你说，你曾经请朋友到家里来，并知道将要发生的事情。描述一下当时的情景和你的感受。
- 7 赖利：我跟三个同伴住一起，有两个要好的朋友从纽约过来，我们一年或半年才见一次面。每个人都拿着笔记本电脑或手机，有的在玩“填字游戏”，有的在玩“愤怒的小鸟”。没有人真正在做事，都一言不发地坐在那儿。好像这就是我们原本期待的，坐在那儿让大脑变钝。这着实令我抓狂。大家一起去吃饭，但每个人都在玩手机。我想说的是，还有其他东西可以追求吗？
- 8 你说，远离社交媒体网站后，多出了好多空余时间。这额外的时间是否给了你更多收获，或者提高了你的学业成绩？
- 9 赖利：是的，提高了百倍。正如我所说，因为在家里真的没什么事可做，所以晚上我经常在学校呆到10点才走，而其他人必定是6点左右就走了。我觉得，人们工作的时候，本应用于办公的电脑上有社交媒体的干扰，这使得他们工作更加困难、更容易分心。我敢肯定所有办公场所都有此困扰。
- 10 最后，完成了这个计划后，你的生活有所变化吗？还是依旧恢复了之前的老样子？
- 11 赖利：肯定有所改观，但有时我意识到自己正在做一些自己讨厌的事。例如，别人在跟我讲话时，我边听边在桌子下面看短消息。现在，我越来越意识到这种变化。过去使用手机只是涉及某种技
- Unit 05 : Modern Communication > Listening and Watching > Listening
- A. Choose the best answer according to what you hear.
- 正确答案：1. C 2. B 3. A 4. D 5. C
1. M: It seems like everyone has a cell phone these days.
W: Yeah. Everywhere you go you can hear mobile phones ringing.
Q: What’s the topic of the conversation?2. M: Hi, Jane. Do you have some change? I have to make a call on the pay phone.
W: Pay phone? Why not use my mobile phone? Here you are.
Q: How does the woman respond to the man’s request?3. M: How often do you use the Internet?
W: I use it almost every day, but I usually use it to check my email. I don’t often surf the net.
Q: What does the woman use the Internet for?4. M: Have you ever booked a flight online?
W: I have booked airline tickets online many times. It has worked out great for me! Need my help?
Q: What does the man probably want to know?5. M: You can tell if the person is bad or not, can’t you?
W: Sure, I can in real life! But in cyberspace, hard to say.
Q: What does the woman imply?
- B. Fill in the blanks of the following passage according to what you hear.
- 正确答案：1. problem 2. Australia 3. easy to lose 4. to cheat during exams 5. leave
Text A / Comprehension
A. Pair Work
Complete the following sentences orally according to the text.
1. Where did Reilly come from?
He came from a Chicago school .
2. How much time did Reilly typically spend on texting and calling every day before he started the Amish Project?
He sent 1,500 texts a month and spent 600 to 900 minutes on the phone.
3. What did Reilly’s friends play for fun?
They played Words with Friends and Angry Birds .
4. What drives Reilly crazy?
That nobody is really doing anything, just sitting quiet and indulging in their cell phones drives him crazy.
B. Main Idea
Read the text again. As you read, underline what you think are the most important ideas. Then, in one or two sentences, write the main idea of the text.
It tells us what Reilly learned from living without electronic conveniences and how it changed his life .
Vocabulary Building / Exercises
A. Match each word with their proper Chinese meaning.
B. Fill in each of the following blanks with the proper form of the given words.
1. Alex was almost speechless (speech) with anger and despair.
2. I’m 25, have a nice flat, a good job and I’m not unattractive (attractive).
3. Imposing speed restrictions (restrict) is easy, but forcing motorists to observe them difficult.
4. I used to be a furniture dealer (deal).
5. She would have loved to have a better-paying job with more responsibility (responsible).
6. I knew I’d never find a parking (park) space in the Square.
7. She received recognition (recognize) for her many achievements.
8. She made frequent reference (refer) to a possible promotion during the talk.
Grammar Tips / Exercises
A. Complete the following sentences based on the information given in Chinese.
1. It is important to remember the time and the location of the meeting (记住会议的时间和地点).
2. She wished to find the book she needed (找到她需要的书).
3. I am glad to tell him the news (告诉他这一消息).
4. My mother asked me to call her at the weekend (周末给她打电话).
5. They left home early in the morning to catch the first train (以便赶上第一班火车).
B. Each of the following sentences contains ONE mistake. Find it out and correct it.
6. I got up earlier than usual in order to catching the first train.
A B C D
7. My biggest wish now is make friends with as many people as possible.
A B C D
(B, to make)
8. It is high time that we encouraged our students working harder.
A B C D
(C, to work)
9. Late at midnight, I heard someone to knock at the door twice.
A B C D
10. Finish the task within three days is next to impossible for such a young man.
A B C D
Text B / Comprehension
A. Answer the following questions according to the text.
1. How many emails do corporate users receive a day, according to a recent report in Business Week?
According to a recent report in Business Week, corporate email users receive an average of 20 to 30 emails a day .
2. What is spam?
Spam is unwanted promotional email .
3. Why can incoming email become a big problem if not managed properly?
As users become distracted by these messages, they are more likely to lose track of other, more important messages and fall further behind in their work .
4. What does Brightmail sell?
Brightmail sells server-based software .
5. Why can’t email users depend fully on automated filters?
Automated filters will never catch all of the spam, since spammers will continue to work hard in order to get their messages through. Apart from spam, useful emails will continue to increase in volume, as email becomes an increasing important method of communicating for business and personal purposes .
B. Judge whether each of the following statements is true or false according to the text. Write T if it is true, or F if false.
1. Email overload affects everyone today.
2. Email users often spend time putting out fires.
3. Software does not help email users very much.
4. Automated filters can catch all kinds of spam.
5. Software will provide the best solution to email overload in the end.
Key: 1. F 2. F 3. F 4. F 5. F
A. Choose the best answer.
1. He sold his farm and ______ he had enough money for his journey.
2. The next day when I went to meet John, I almost failed to _____ him in his Australian bush hat.
3. I would like you to feel that I am talking directly to you as you read ____ the book.
4. She is ______ behind with her school work because of her illness.
5. He was considered ______ of a hero in the town.
6. We are justified in ______ equal rights at work.
7. The army defended the town ______ the enemy attack.
8. I want ______ pencils, please!
A. two of dozen
B. two dozen
C. two dozens
D. two dozens of
B. Fill in the blanks with the words given below.
regular personal favorite single same information online website
Twenty years ago, kids in school had never even heard of the Internet. Now, I’ll bet you can’t find a (1) single person in your school who hasn’t at least heard of it. In fact, many of us use it on a (2) regular basis and even have access to it from our homes!
The Internet is a vast resource for all types of (3) information . You may enjoy using it to do research for a school project, downloading your (4) favorite songs or communicating with friends and family. However, when you email people, you have to be very careful. If you’ve never met the person that you’re communicating with (5) online , you could be on dangerous ground! You should never give away any (6) personal information to someone you don’t know, not even your name! And just like you can’t believe the information on every (7) website out there, you can’t always trust the strangers you “meet” on the Internet, either. Just like you could make up things about yourself when chatting with someone online, he or she could do the (8) same to you!
C. Translate the following sentences into English using the words or phrases you have learned in this unit.
The invention of cell phones provides us with all kinds of conveniences.
People are now aware of some problems with the use of cell phones.
You can refer to Zhang Dong’s school’s website for his phone number.
4. 拒绝使用现代通讯技术的人会在竞争中落伍。(fall behind)
Those who refuse to use modern technology of communication will fall behind in their competition with others.
The Internet has raised many challenges to social administrations.
The number of Internet users in this city almost doubled last year.
7. 我们不能指望因特网告诉我们一切。(rely on)
We cannot rely on the Internet to tell us everything.
8. 除了打电话外，我们还可以使用电子邮件保持联系。(apart from)
To stay in touch, we can write emails apart from making telephone calls.
D. Translate the following passage from Text B into Chinese.
Incoming email, if not managed properly, can become a big problem. As users become distracted by some messages, they are more likely to lose track of other more important messages and fall further behind in their work. An inbox full of dozens or hundreds of messages makes the users less and less efficient in other areas of work, spending more and more time “putting out fires” caused by the huge amount of incoming email. The more email piles up, the less useful it is to users or their companies. The only way to enjoy email’s benefits is to manage it properly.
Practical Reading and Writing
1. Write your answer to each of the following questions.
(1) Where does the speaker come from in Sample 1?
Yale University, U.S.A.
(2) When will the lecture start?
At 2:00 p.m.
(3) Where does the notice come from in Sample 2?
(4) What is the activity the notice is about?
An exhibition of historic relics from the Han Dynasty recently unearthed in Yangzhou.
(5) When and where are the targeted readers of the notice supposed to gather?
At the South Entrance of the Corporation Building at 7:00 a.m.
A. Suppose there will be a lecture given by Professor Qi Qiang from Shanghai University on the subject of “How to Succeed in Job Interviews” on July 12 (Friday), starting at 9:00 a.m., in the Lecture Hall of the Liberal Arts Building. Write a poster about it.
Speaker: Prof. Qi Qiang from Shanghai University
Subject: How to Succeed in Job Interviews
Time: July 12 (Friday), at 9:00 a.m.
Place: Lecture Hall of the Liberal Arts Building
Everyone is welcome!
B. Suppose the East Gate of your university will be closed for repair between August 5 and August 16. Write a notice informing people of it.