大学英语 新标准高职实用综合教程（第2版）第二册 Unit 03
- 1 第一天，我早早地便来上班了。有人给我拿来了工作帽和围裙，接着一位热心的麦当劳员工向我解释了如何操作收银机。
- 2 收银机上有各种颜色和名称的按钮，对于不熟悉它的人来说有点像是飞机的控制面板。每个按钮都代表了一种不同食物，如巨无霸、水果派、麦香鱼，等等。除了这些，还有各式套餐和其他特价品种。如果有人点了一份套餐但同时还需要一份特价食品，那么你就需要按另一个按钮。
- 3 对于新手，总有一些事搞不清楚。按要求，你需在顾客点餐之后询问对方是否需要甜点或饮料。当然，你不能强行推销食品，而是传达一种建议。向孩子和上了年纪的女士强行推销食品是不允许的。
- 4 我了解到，将带有“麦当劳”字样的薯条盒正对顾客摆放很重要，因为那样便于顾客能准确无误地接受到广告信息。将饮料放在顾客托盘的右方位置也很重要，原因是绝大多数顾客惯于使用右手，因此托重物时右手更有力。
- 5 第一位顾客站在了我的面前。“我想要一个吉士汉堡、一包薯条、一杯浓奶昔。”她说。“需要再来点甜品吗？”我尽可能地按麦当劳的方式来促销。
- 6 “不用了，谢谢。”就这样，我的第一次推销以失败告终。
- 7 如果我在收银机上找不到正确的按钮，一位总是对“临时工”特别关照的麦当劳工作人员会前来帮我。
- 8 这样的帮助非常重要，特别是在你找不到套餐按钮的时候，或是当你按下计算需付总金额的按钮，却发觉总额与找零显示已经从收银机的小屏幕上彻底消失了的时候。
- 9 接着，我得适应如何将薯条倒进包装盒、如何按对标明不同饮料的按钮。每当顾客点了巨无霸或其他汉堡之后，我得大声提醒生产间员工多做些这类食品。我还得检查包装盒上的日期，看看是否过了保质期，如果过期了就得扔掉……
- 10 这就是我在麦当劳工作的第一
- Unit 03 : Fast Food > Listening and Watching > Listening
- A. Choose the best answer according to what you hear.
- 正确答案：1. B 2. A 3. C 4. D 5. B
- 1. M: Can we have a table for three, please?
W: Sorry, all the tables for three are reserved.
Q: How many people come to eat?2. W: Would you like French fries with your burger?
M: No, thanks, but I would like some soda.
Q: What does the man buy?3. W: What do you think of the apple pie? I made it myself.
M: Very delicious indeed. Even my mother’s cannot match it.
Q: What can we know from the man’s response?4. W: What would you like for dessert?
M: The chocolate cake looks great. But I have to watch my weight.
Q: What does the man mean?5. W: Are you going to try some of this chocolate pudding? It’s incredible.
M: Well, to be honest with you, I’ve never been a fan of chocolate.
Q: Does the man like chocolate?
- B. Fill in the blanks of the following passage according to what you hear.
- 正确答案：1. way of life 2. service 3. preparing 4. orders 5. traditional and expensive
Text A /Comprehension
A. Pair Work
Complete the following sentences orally according to the text.
1. What do staff members at McDonald’s wear while working?
They wear uniform hats and aprons .
2. What does the cash register look like for those unused to all the different colors and names?
It looks a little bit like the control panel of an aircraft .
3. How should the author serve the ordered food?
It is important for the author to press the correct button for each type of ordered food and ask whether someone who had ordered the meal would like some dessert or something else to drink.
4. Who helped the author when he couldn’t find the correct button on the register?
A McDonald’s staff member, who was always kind to temporary employees , came to help him.
5. Why did the author have to call out when he picked up a Big Mac or any other burger?
He called out so that the kitchen staff knew they would need to cook more .
B. Main Idea
Read the text again. As you read, underline what you think are the most important ideas. Then, in one or two sentences, write the main idea of the text.
My first day at McDonald’s was the most unforgettable day in my working experience .
Vocabulary Building / Exercises
A. Match each word with their proper Chinese meaning.
B. Fill in each of the following blanks with the proper form of the given words.
1. His father is an eye specialist (special).
2. Pushy (push) parents get their children into the best schools.
3. John kicked the door open, which was typical (type) of him.
4. My mother learned to operate (operation) a sewing machine at a very early age.
5. My sister is in charge of the registration (register) of births.
6. His mother is employed (employee) in a hospital.
7. The teacher was confused (confusion) by what the student said.
8. The two small shops combined (combination) to make a larger one.
Grammar Tips / Exercises
A. Complete the following sentences based on the information given in Chinese.
1. I call my parents every week so that they won’t worry about me (这样他们就不会为我担心).
2. I get up early in the morning so that I can do morning exercises (这样可以做晨练).
3. John saved his money so that he could buy a toy car (这样他就可以买一辆玩具汽车).
4. It rained a lot, so that it was not necessary for me to water the lawn (这样我就不必给草坪浇水了).
5. The boy is so young that he can’t go to school by himself (还不能自己一个人去上学).
B. Each of the following sentences contains ONE mistake. Find it out and correct it.
6. You must speak louder so as to you can be heard by all. (B, so that)
A B C D
7. The boy ran fast so that I couldn’t catch him. (B, so fast that)
A B C D
8. Mary is working very hard these days in order pass the exams. (C, in order to)
A B C D
9. Mary was very angry, that she left without saying a word. (B, so)
A B C D
10. She closed the door and the windows such that she would not hear the noise outside. (B, so that)
A B C D
Text B / Comprehension
A. Answer the following questions according to the text.
1. Why do some people, especially young people, think they need to change their eating habits?
Because much of the food they eat, particularly processed foods, is not good for the health.
2. What are natural foods, according to the article?
Foods which do not contain chemicals and which have not been affected by the chemical fertilizers widely used in farming today are called natural foods.
3. What kinds of food are considered natural foods?
Natural foods include vegetables, fruit and grain which have been grown in soil that is rich in essential vitamins and minerals. Animals which have been allowed to feed and move freely in the outdoors are also natural foods.
4. Is sugar harmful?
Sugar is not harmful in itself, but eating too much of it will cause problems.
5. Why is it necessary to eat bread and vegetables according to modern experts on “healthy eating”?
Because fibre is considered to be an essential part of a healthy diet, and a lot of fibre is found in unprocessed flour and in many vegetables.
B. Judge whether each of the following statements is true or false according to the text. Write T if it is true, or F if false.
1. Young people have long realized the need to change their eating habits.
2. The purpose of using chemicals and fertilizers is to increase the quality of foods.
3. In Britain today each person consumes an average of 20 pounds of sugar a year.
4. Chickens raised in factory farms are tasty.
5. There is a lot of fibre in white bread.
Key: 1. F 2. F 3. F 4. F 5. F
A. Choose the best answer to complete each of the following sentences.
1. Each key on the board is ________ a different type of function.
A. with B. as
C. for D. to
2. When he was in danger, nobody came to his ________.
A. help B. assistance
C. assist D. rescue
3. You need to place the carton of fries with the McDonald’s name ________ the customer.
A. to face B. facing
C. face D. faced
4. The staff in the kitchen has ________ the message that a customer wanted a special dish.
A. received B. ordered
C. accepted D. pointed
5. When it comes to ________, I’m best at preparing fish.
A. cooking B. cook
C. cooker D. cooked
6. Natural foods also ________ vegetables not nourished by chemical fertilizers.
A. Remove B. have
C. contain D. include
7. Modern experts ________ healthy eating suggest we eat more vegetables.
A. with B. of
C. on D. above
8. She had to ________ so that she could be heard by her parents.
A. call up B. call out
C. point up D. point out
答案: 1.C 2.D 3.B 4.A 5.A 6.D 7.C 8.B
B. Fill in the blanks with the words given below.
Changes in the Diet of the Chinese
There have been some changes in the (1) diet of the Chinese. Grain, the main food of most people in China, is now playing a less important (2) role . While meat and milk are produced in large quantities today, people are also having more vegetables.
The changes in diet can be explained by a number of factors. First, people are much better (3) off than before. With a higher income, they can (4) afford to buy more expensive foods which, in the past, were rarely seen on the dinner tables of ordinary families. Another (5) factor is that people have realized the (6) importance of a balanced diet to their health. If they eat too much meat, they easily put on weight. And lack of a certain amount of vegetables will (7) result in poor health. For all these reasons, what was formerly called “a diet of grain” has become one of varied foods.
C. Translate the following sentences into English using the words or phrases you have learned in this unit.
1. 这家小店供应的饮料有茶、可乐、雪碧、矿泉水，等等。(and so on)
The grocery provides such drinks as tea, Coke, Sprite, mineral water, and so on.
2. 就西式快餐而言，我最喜欢汉堡。(when it comes to)
I like burgers most when it comes to Western fast food.
3. 顾客在点菜时应该明白无误地告诉服务员自己需要什么。(loud and clear)
The customer should tell the waiter/waitress loud and clear what he/she needs.
4. 那家饭馆十分重视菜肴的质量。(place emphasis on)
That restaurant places a lot of emphasis on the quality of food provided.
Our restaurant’s special is crispy duck.
6. 我儿子不习惯吃辣的食物。(be unused to)
My son is unused to spicy food.
Students are very much interested in this type of food.
8. 这道菜看上去像一盆花。(look like)
The dish looks like a pot of flowers.
D. Translate the following passage from Text B into Chinese.
Nowadays fibre is considered to be an essential part of a healthy diet. A lot of fibre is found in unprocessed flour and in many vegetables. However, the fibre has been removed in foods like white bread. In some countries where the national diet contains large quantities of unrefined flour and vegetables, certain diseases are comparatively rare. That is why modern experts on “healthy eating” place a lot of emphasis on the eating of vegetables.
Practical Reading and Writing
A. Write your answer to each of the following questions.
(1) What is the good news mentioned in Sample 1?
The good news is that Lucy has a house of her own.
(2) What did Peter and his wife send as a gift to Lucy?
A potted plant.