大学英语 新标准高职实用综合教程（第2版）第二册 Unit 02
- 1 我的朋友杰克是位出租车司机。我们成为朋友非常偶然。五年前，我去了一趟芝加哥。走出奥哈尔国际机场后我叫了出租车去希尔斯大厦。
- 2 坐上出租车的那一刻，我就感到这辆车与众不同。脚下铺着小地毯，车里挂着凡高和高更的小仿制画，玻璃窗一尘不染。我对司机说这是我坐过的最漂亮的出租车。
- 3 “我喜欢听乘客们这么说，”他回答道。“你的出租车这样装饰有多长时间了？”我问道。
- 4 “这不是我的出租车，”他说，“这是公司的车。几年前我在出租车公司做清洁工的时候有了这个想法。每天收工时，开回来的每辆出租车就像一个垃圾坑。满地都是烟蒂和火柴。像花生酱之类黏糊的东西粘在座位或门把手上。我想如果公司和司机们能给人们一辆值得保持干净的汽车，人们也许会更爱护车内环境。”
- 5 “一拿到出租车驾驶执照，我就这么做了。我在他们让我驾驶的出租车内加了一些装饰。我放了条好看的薄毯和一些花。每位乘客下车后，我会检查一下，以确保下一次载客时每件东西都整齐。大约一个月，我的车都保持得一尘不染，此后，老板每天预留同一辆车给我开。从那个时候开始我就挂上了这些名画的仿制品。”
- 6 “你开出租车有多少年了？”我问道。
- 7 “我十年前开始开出租车，人们从来没有令我失望过：（车里）连一个烟头都没有，没有花生酱和冰淇凌残渣，没有垃圾。正如我说的，人们喜欢美丽的事物。如果我们在城市里种植更多的花草树木，并且使建筑物更漂亮，那么会有越来越多的人愿意保持城市整洁。”
- 8 后来我们成为好朋友。这位出租车司机给我留下了深刻印象，我认为他发现了一个伟大的真理。美感与生俱来，大部分人生来就懂得美的珍贵，不会对美无动于衷。并且，只要让他们感受到一点点美，他们就会努力去锦上添花。
- Unit 02 : Our Living Environment > Listening and Watching > Listening
- A. Choose the best answer according to what you hear.
- 正确答案：1. A 2. D 3. C 4. B 5. D
1. M: Good evening. I’m Harry Smith. I think we have a reservation here.
W: Let me see… yes, a table for two, by the window.
Q: Where does the conversation most probably take place?
- 2. W: Welcome to our city. How do you find it, Mr. Anderson?
M: Oh, it’s impressive, a large and beautiful city; I can hardly express it in words.
Q: Does Mr. Anderson like the city?
- 3. M: This place once was a garbage dump. Two years ago people cleared it and built this garden.
W: I wouldn’t have believed it, if you hadn’t told me.
Q: How does the woman react to what the man has said to her?
- 4. W: What a beautiful garden! The green trees seem to make the marble even whiter.
M: And the pool in front of the main entrance to the building. What a brilliant design!
Q: Which of the following is not mentioned in the dialogue?
- 5. W: There are so many environmental problems in the world today. Do you think we can really solve them all or will they destroy the world?
M: I hope that world leaders can get together and agree on a plan of action, but I doubt it’ll happen before it’s too late.
Q: Does the man think world leaders will take action to solve the environment problems?
- B. Fill in the blanks of the following passage according to what you hear.
- 正确答案：1. at least 2. extremely 3. patience 4. likes and dislikes 5. personal space
Text A /Comprehension
A. Pair Work
Complete the following sentences orally according to the text.
1. Who was Jack?
Jack was _____________________.
2. When did Jack hit upon the idea of decorating the cab?
Jack hit on the idea when ______________________________.
3. When did Jack begin to try out his idea?
He tried out his idea ___________________________________.
4. When did Jack put up reproductions of great paintings?
He did so when ______________________________.
5. What do people appreciate, according to Jack?
According to Jack, people appreciate ____________________________.
6. What happened between the author and Jack?
Key: 1. a taxi driver
2. he had a job as a clean-up man for the taxi company
3. as soon as he got his taxi license
4. the boss reserved the same car for him each day
5. beautiful things
6. good friends
B. Main Idea
Read the text again. As you read, underline what you think are the most important ideas. Then, in one or two sentences, write the main idea of the text.
Key: Most people don’t have to be instructed about the rarity of beauty. They respond when they find it. And, if they are made to feel a part of it, they will try to add to it.
Vocabulary Building / Exercises
A. Match each word with their proper Chinese meaning.
B. Fill in each of the following blanks with the proper form of the given words.
1. You need to read the instructions (instruct) carefully before you use the machine.
2. The police found out about the deaths of the three men accidentally (accident).
3. The rarity (rare) of air on a high mountain is bad for people with weak hearts.
4. I’ve had no response (respond) to my letter.
5. If you want to go to the concert, you’ll have to make a reservation (reserve), or there will be no tickets.
6. He is very proud of his spotless (spot) kitchen.
7. I have no inclination (incline) to be a doctor.
8. We put up pictures and other decorations (decorate) in the classroom.
A. Complete the following sentences based on the information given in Chinese.
1. I’ve never met my cousin again since he left Nanjing (自从他离开南京).
2. (下学期开始前) Before the next term begins , you each need to make some preparations for the course.
3. (小明刚抵达飞机场) When Xiao Ming had just arrived at the airport , it began to rain.
4. We talked while we were playing cards (我们打牌时).
5. I decided to buy the book the moment I saw it (我看到它的那一刻).
B. Each of the following sentences contains ONE mistake. Find it out and correct it.
6. As soon as I stepped out of the room, I had found a bus rushing by. (C, found)
A B C D
7. Things are getting better and better when time goes on. (C, as)
A B C D
8. Joan sang while she walked along, with a book in her left hand. (A, was singing)
A B C D
9. Jack was washing dishes then Mary knocked at the door and entered. (C, when)
A B C D
10. No sooner he left Beijing than his mother fell sick. (B, had he left)
A B C D
Text B / Comprehension
A. Answer the following questions according to the text.
1. Why is the water we drink at home or in the office not safe?
We are safe neither at home nor in the office. We use water in both places, but the research shows that chemicals added to our local water supply to kill harmful bacteria can have unwanted side effects.
2. How do the chemicals used to kill harmful bacteria affect our health?
These additives are released from water by daily actions like water running out of faucets, spraying from garden hoses, or splashing in dishwashers and washing machines. As the water is agitated, these chemicals are released into the air and then breathed in. Once inside our bodies, they start to affect our health adversely.
3. What do the scientists suggest we do rather than stop bathing?
We should put all pollution into perspective. At a minimum, proper airing of newly purchased goods with an obvious chemical smell is a wise precaution. Home and office windows should be opened during good weather to allow a flushing of stale air. Even one’s car need to be ventilated as well as the garage.
4. What causes the chemicals to build up and harm us in offices?
As offices and homes often have inadequate ventilation, these chemicals can build up to become health nuisances. Their toxic effects are only now being slowly recognized.
5. How do you understand “there is no place like home” in the last paragraph?
“There’s no place like home” is an established saying used to express how much we value where we live. Here it is used to help say that we can only hope our home is a safe haven despite the new environmental threats.
B. Judge whether each of the following statements is true or false according to the text. Write T if it is true, or F if false.
1. Recent research done at the University of Texas shows that staying indoors is sometimes harmful.
2. Using water to clean one’s house can be potentially harmful.
3. The additives in the water supply may do harm to our skin when we water gardens.
4. The authors suggest that to remove indoor pollution we need to ventilate the garage.
5. People have long understood that air conditioners can be our enemies.
Key：1. T 2. T 3. F 4. F 5. F
A. Choose the best answer to complete each of the following sentences.
1. Do you think the film is worth ________?
B. to see
2. Finally, my sister got a job ________ assistant manager in a bank.
3. It is predicted that the heavy rain last night will badly ________ the crops.
4. We became friends quite ________ accident.
D. out of
5. The boss didn’t like Joan. The ________ was her laziness.
6. Johnson said that the evening party would cost him 200 dollars. But the ________ expense was 300 dollars.
7. It is very hard to ________ the meaning of “rich” today.
8. ________ a sense, he may be right to say that.
9. Don’t talk ________ you are eating.
D. as soon as
10. Hardly had I got to the cinema ________ the film began.
B. Fill in the blanks with the words given below.
Cigarette smoking is one kind of pollution. It is the most (1) harmful pollution in our lives and dangerous to our (2) health .
Smoking pollutes both the outdoor and the indoor (3) environment . Outdoors, besides fouling the air, it makes the streets dirty, for some smokers throw cigarette butts everywhere. However, the indoor environment is (4) far more polluted. When you enter a meeting-room, you’ll get a cough, because it is full of smoke and smells terrible. In a train, you’ll find yourself covered with (5) smoke if some smokers sit nearby. And you’ll be unlucky if you share a room in a dormitory with a roommate who is a heavy smoker.
So, let us work together to make more (6) public places non-smoking areas.
C. Translate the following sentences into English using the words or phrases you have learned in this unit.
People there have paid inadequate attention to environmental protection.
2. 政府要求关闭那家工厂以确保这一旅游胜地不受污染。(make sure that)
The government required that the factory be closed to make sure that the tourist attraction would not be polluted.
It’s really considerate of them to make as little noise as possible.
4. 小明想到一个处理废水的好办法。(hit on)
Xiao Ming hit on a good idea to deal with the polluted water.
5. 该工厂努力将污染控制在最低限度内。(at a minimum)
The factory tried its best to keep pollution at a minimum.
6. 使用高科技产品对环境会产生某些意想不到的副作用。(side effect)
The use of high-tech products may produce some unexpected side effects.
7. 这个城市的卫生环境增添了它的吸引力。(add to)
The city’s clean environment adds to its attraction.
8. 我们倾向于在街道的两边种植一些花和树。(be inclined to)
We are inclined to plant trees and flowers on both sides of the street.
D. Translate the following passage from Text B into Chinese.
Apparently, we are safe neither at home nor in the business office. We use water in both places, but the above-mentioned research shows that chemicals added to our local water supply to kill harmful bacteria can have unwanted side effects. These chemicals can cause potential harm through drinking and in such seemingly harmless activities as cleaning one’s house.
Practical Reading and Writing
A. Write your answer to each of the following questions.
(1) What mistake did Xu Lin make so that he wrote the note of apology in Sample 1?
(2) Why did Xu Lin make that mistake?
(3) What does David apologize for in Sample 2?
(4) What has prevented David from making a prompt reply?
(5) What may Henry be interested in according to the note?
1. His failure to call on Prof. Zhang.
2. He has been preoccupied with writing his course paper in recent days and simply forgot about their appointment.
3. He is very sorry for not answering promptly.
4. He has been busy making preparations for an art exhibition to be held at the beginning of next month.
5. The art of Chinese paper-cutting.
B. Suppose you have made an appointment with Mr. Smith for a business talk this Friday afternoon. Now your manager has asked you to go to Beijing on business and you won’t be able to return until next Monday. Write a note of apology to Mr. Smith.