大学英语 新标准高职实用综合教程（第2版）第二册 Unit 01
大学英语 新标准高职实用综合教程（第2版）第二册 Unit 01
- Wanted: Blue-Collar Workers
- 1 对于很多人来说，美国的工业中心地带并不能给那里的居民提供很多就业岗位。但是，在卡伦•赖特看来，事情并非如此。作为俄亥俄州阿里尔公司的首席执行官，赖特面临的最大问题并不是缺乏就业岗位，而是缺乏技术熟练的工人。“我们有一支非常熟练的工人队伍，但他们的年纪越来越大。”怀特说。“我不知道我们要去哪里寻找新鲜血液来替代他们。”
- 2 这听起来可能令人吃惊，因为这个国家整整一代人已经遭受了失业的痛苦。然而，纵观整个中心地带，我们几乎可以发现同样的问题：熟练工人短缺。这种短缺正是像赖特这样的制造商们所面临的一个共同问题。
- 3 熟练劳动力短缺表明美国制造业在明显复苏。2009年以来，制造业的就业岗位数量就一直在上升，年均收入73,000美元，远远超过了教育、医疗和其他许多领域的平均收入水平。
- 4 伴随工业的复苏，对熟练工人的需求不断上升。（民众）工业技能的缺乏是由美国的教育体系和世界经济需求之间的巨大差距所导致的。多年来，美国的民众一直被灌输一种想法，即美国的未来是建立在诸如法律这样的高端服务或编写软件和系统设计这样的“创造性”行业之上的。这就使得许多聪颖的学生以为，接受高等教育是有机会跻身中产阶级的唯一途径。
- 5 一些制造商认为技术工人的短缺源于职业教育的衰落。今天的年轻人并没有把手工艺行业看作热门行业，比如管道工、泥瓦工、木工等，因为他们从小就被教导要上大学。“人们去上大学，并不是因为他们自己想去上，而是因为父母告诉他们应该去上。”俄亥俄州某公司的人事经理杰夫•柯克这样说道。“孩子们需要更清楚地了解，他们在学校学到的很多知识在工作场所里并不会真正用得上，而且他们不了解水管工的收入是社会工作者的三倍。”
- 6 幸运的是，越来越多的学校正在接受这一信息，并将其传递给学生。其中俄亥俄州中部技术学院每年都要扩招70名焊接专业和50名机修专业的学生。许多学院的认证项目由公司规划并得到其部分扶持, 因为他们认为这是一项明智的投资。学院职业与技术教育中心的负责人凯利•华莱士说：“这个城市里有很多人都无所事
- Unit 01 : Blue-Collar Workers > Listening and Watching > Listening
- A. Choose the best answer according to what you hear.
- 正确答案：1. D 2. B 3. D 4. B 5. A
1. M: What is a qualified blue-collar worker like in your mind?
W: Well, many things are important, but, to me, skills come first.
Q: What does the woman think is the most important quality for blue-collar workers?2. M: Do blue-collar workers have to work many hours every day?
W: Depends. Some blue-collar workers may have more free time than white-collar workers.
Q: Is it the case that blue-collar workers’ daily work lasts very long, according to the woman?3. W: I heard someone say your father changed his job months ago. Why is that?
M: He could no longer tolerate the huge noise of planes.
Q: Where had the man’s father probably worked before he changed his job?4. W: It’s said that China needs a lot of blue-collar workers today. Is it true?
Q: What is the problem the woman is concerned about?5. M: Are blue-collar workers paid much less than white-collar workers in Japan?
W: Probably yes. But sometimes the opposite is true.
Q: How are blue-collar workers paid in Japan?
- B. Fill in the blanks of the following passage according to what you hear.
- 正确答案：1. as well 2. making 3. physically 4. life 5. healthy 6. own 7. succeed 8. money
Text A / Comprhension
- Pair Work
Complete the following sentences orally according to the text.
- She is . To her, the biggest problem is .
Key: the CEO of Ariel Corporation in Ohio; a lack of skilled workers
Key: the state has suffered from lack of jobs for a generation.
- Jeff Kirk thinks that kids need to better know that.
Key: much of what they learn in school is not really needed in the workplace
- They think that the shortage of skilled workers result from.
Key: the decline of vocational education
- The college has.
Key: recently expanded by 70 welding students and 50 machinists per year
Read the text again. As you read, underline what you think are the most important ideas. Then, in one or two sentences, write the main idea of the text.
Key: America is suffering from a lack of skilled workers. People must pay attention to vocational education.
Vocabulary Building / Exercises
A. Match each word with their proper Chinese meaning.
B. Fill in each of the following blanks with the proper form of the given words.
1. They fought to liberate (liberation) the black people from slavery.
2. He watched helplessly (help) as the train left without him.
3. Prof. Ding is a very respectable (respect) person.
4. Thomas is an English historian (historical).
5. I spoke to him concerning (concern) his behavior.
6. His room is in a state of confusion (confuse).
7. My mother cooked many tasty (taste) dishes today.
8. Sparing him is a merciful (mercy) act.
Grammar Tips / Exercises
A. Complete the following sentences based on the information given in Chinese.
1. I can walk ten miles (能走十英里路)in an hour.
2. You must tell him (必须告诉他)when you will return.
3. Young people should show respect to the old (应该尊敬老人)at any time.
4. Can we bring cameras (我们是否可以带照相机) with us when we visit the museum?
5. Without his father’s approval he had to give up his travel plan (不得不放弃自己的旅游计划).
B. Each of the following sentences contains ONE mistake. Find it out and correct it.
6. Henry mustn’t be at home because he phoned me from the farm just now. (A, can’t)
A B C D
7. Jack is a bilingual person. He may speak English and Japanese. (C, can)
A B C D
8. Mary can know the answer to the question. I’m not sure. (A, may)
A B C D
9. You mayn’t tell anyone about this — it’s a secret. (A, mustn’t)
A B C D
10. Mother is out, so I must look after the shop. (C, have to)
A B C D
Text B / Comprehension
A. Answer the following questions according to the text.
1. What do “blue-collar” occupations depend on?
Key: “Blue-collar” occupations depend on some kind of skills, plenty of training and technical knowledge.
2. Do “blue-collar” workers make more money than average American workers?
Key: Depending on the industry, these “blue-collar” workers even make much more than the average American worker.
3. Where do plumbers and pipefitters install, maintain and repair pipe systems?
Key: Plumbers and pipefitters install, maintain and repair many different types of pipe systems from those in city water treatment plants to residential, commercial and public buildings.
4. What do people need to do if they want to become subway or streetcar operators?
Key: The people need to pass a physical exam and some other tests if they want to become subway or streetcar operators.
5. Where can commercial and industrial equipment electrical and electronics repairers be trained?
Key: They can train through a one- to two-year community college or vocational school programs or on-the-job training.
B. Judge whether each of the following statements is true or false according to the text. Write T if it is true, or F if false.
1. “Blue-collar” jobs are generally paid much less than “white-collar” jobs.
2. Construction and building inspectors learn everything on the job.
3. Police officers can work their way up through experience and skill.
4. To become aircraft mechanics, people must have 8 months of work experience.
5. For plastic machine setters, formal training programs are always necessary
Key: 1. F 2. F 3. T 4. F 5. F
A. Choose the best answer to complete each of the following sentences.
1. The boy acted ________ he didn’t know me.
A. so that
B. such as
C. as soon
D. as if
2. Hourly output by workers ________ 1.3% in the first quarter.
3. There is no reason ________ he should refuse to join us.
D. so that
4. Some of these methods will work, but ________ will not.
B. the other
5. The country is suffering from a ________ of food.
6. The ________ between rich and poor is getting bigger and bigger in some places.
7. There are good opportunities to learn skills ________ the job.
8. On ________, my mother earns 5000 yuan a month.
B. Fill in the blanks with the words given below.
Many fresh college graduates are complaining nowadays that in today’s (1) labor market they are priced less than vegetables. At the same time, there is a shocking labor (2) shortage in the manufacturing areas in Eastern and Southern China. Actually, there is nothing to be (3) ashamed if you work with your hands. The idea that looks down on an honest day’s work has to be corrected. The change is important for the country to balance its job market and solve the problem of (4) insufficient employment for college graduates. Rising salaries reflect the real value of blue-collar jobs. It is necessary to further promote a (5) skilled labor force. The quality of China’s economy is not built on innovation alone, but also on the (6) quality of its labor.
C. Translate the following sentences into English using the words or phrases you have learned in this unit.
Nowadays, China has a serious shortage of blue-collar workers.
The average monthly pay for blue-collar workers is around 3,000 yuan in this city.
3. 杰克是一位富有经验的机械工，当机器出故障时能保持冷静。(break down)
As Jack is an experienced mechanic, he can keep calm when the machine breaks down.
4. 学徒往往是在工作中学习的。(on the job)
Apprentices always learn everything on the job.
Many mechanical operations are carried out by the computer programs.
The annual income of that plumber is more than $100,000.
This community college has been expanding in the past five years.
Installing this machine requires the coordination of many people.
D. Translate the following passage from Text B into Chinese.
Most occupations that can be referred to as “blue-collar” depend on some kind of skills, plenty of training and technical knowledge. Several professions are widely found in today’s workforce, and the most highly-skilled workers will have the best opportunities for work in these occupations. What’s more, the pay for these jobs is almost as much as that for many so-called white collar jobs, and quite often, depending on the industry, these workers even make much more than the average American worker.
Practical Reading and Writing / Exercises
A. Write your answer to each of the following questions.
(1) What gift did Tom give to Jack in Sample 1?
(2) How is the gift helpful to Jack?
It is very helpful in his work, especially when Jack translates business material.
(3) Where does Yang Zhidong work in Sample 2?
In a company.
(4) What did he do recently?
He paid a visit to Mr. Smith’s company.
(5) What does he think of Mr. Smith?
He thinks that Mr. Smith is very thoughtful.
B. Suppose your uncle/aunt has just given you a bike as a gift for starting at your new school. Write a thank-you letter to him/her.
圆角矩形: July 5
I am so grateful to you for the bike you gave me as a gift for my starting at the new school. I really like it, whose color and design are just right for me. I am sure that it will be very useful and save me a lot of time. I won’t have to get up so early every day!
I hope you will some day come to see me.