英语[实用综合教程 学生用书 第二版]Unit 5
Text A / Comprehension
A. Choose the best answer according to the text.
1. To different people, the earth means ________.
A. rich soil B. mountains of hard rock
C. water as far as the eye can see D. different things
2. Animals and plants can live on the earth because ________.
A. it is the right distance from the sun B. it has plenty of water
C. the sun gives them warmth and light D. all of the above
3. ________lies at the center of the earth.
A. Metal B. Hard rock
C. A ball of hard metal D. Hot liquid rock
4. Which statement is true about the earth’s movement?
A. The earth spins and travels around the sun at the same time.
B. One day is the time it takes the earth to travel around the sun once.
C. One year is the time it takes the earth to spin around once.
D. It is impossible to measure the earth’s movement.
5. Earth Day is celebrated ________.
A. on the first day of summer B. only in the West
C. since 1968 D. since 1970
Key: 1. D 2. D 3. C 4. A 5. D
B. Complete the following sentences orally with your partner.
1. How does a spaceman see the earth?
He sees the earth’s round shape and the outline of land and oceans .
2. What is the shape of the earth and what is it covered with?
The shape of the earth is round and it is covered with water, rock and soil .
3. Where do animals and plants live?
They live almost everywhere on the surface of the earth .
4. How long are a day and a year?
One day is the time it takes the earth to spin around once , and one year is the time it takes the earth to travel once around the sun .
5. When was Earth Day named?
It was named in 1970 .
C. Make a dialogue with your partner according to the situation described below.
S: Hi, everybody. I’m Susan Young. Tomorrow is Earth Day. We wonder how many people know about the day and how much they know about the planet we live on. Now I will interview some people in the street. (to Jerry) Hi, there. I’m Susan Young from Man and Nature. Can you give me a moment?
J: All right.
S: I have some questions to ask you.
J: Go ahead.
S: First, can you tell us who you are?
J: I am a student from XXXXXX .
S: Good. Have you ever heard of Earth Day?
J: Yes, of course.
S: Then do you know when the day is celebrated every year?
J: Oh, on the day spring begins. Am I correct?
S: Quite right. It is on April 22. So tomorrow is Earth Day.
J: Oh, I almost forgot!
S: The next question may be a little difficult. Do you know when it was first named? And who proposed the idea?
J: Perhaps in 1970 ? I’m not sure. I’ve read it somewhere. But I can’t remember it clearly now. Sorry, I can’t answer the other question.
S: You are right about the year when it was named. As for the other question, OK, let me tell you: Gaylord Nelson, an American, proposed the naming of such a day and his suggestion was later accepted by the United Nations. My next question is: why can animals and plants live on the earth?
J: They can live on it first because it is just the right distance from the sun . Living things need the sun’s warmth and light for life. They also must have enough water to live. The earth has plenty of water that covers most of its surface .
S: The last question: what lies at the center of the earth?
J: A ball of hard metal lies at the center of the earth.
S: Very good. I think you know a lot about our mother earth. Thank you for your time.
J: You are welcome. I’m glad to have taken part in your program. And I like your program very much .
S: Thank you again! Goodbye!
Vocabulary Building / Exercises
A. Match each word with its proper Chinese meaning.
B. Fill in each blank with a given word or expression in their right form.
form include at the center of call (one’s) attention to
protect as far as surface measure
1. I’ll help you as far as I can.
2. He had included a large number of funny stories in the speech.
3. These greenbelts protected / protect / have protected 500,000 acres of farmland against moving sands.
4. The TV program is shown to call people’s attention to water pollution in China.
5. A soft wind caused ripples on the surface of the lake.
6. The children formed / have formed a circle around her.
7. My mother measured / has measured / is measuring me for a new dress.
8. The park lies at the center of the city.
Grammar Tips / Exercises
A. Fill in each blank with a proper preposition.
1. He asked me whether the movie was based on a real story.
2. The Beckhams traveled around China in 2011.
3. You can look up the word in the dictionary.
4. — Where are good potatoes grown?
— Good potatoes are grown in North China.
5. — What’s this bottle made of ?
— It’s made of china.
6. We are busy preparing for the exam.
7. A new bridge is built over the river.
8. He came into the classroom with a book in his hand.
9. There is a lamp between the bed and the desk.
10. Autumn is the best season of the year in Beijing.
B. Complete each sentence with one of the prepositions given in brackets.
1. The two countries are at war. (at / about / with)
2. The rain was beating against the windows. (in / against / at)
3. The train is ten minutes behind time. (behind / after / before)
4. There are many other people besides Tom at the party. (but / beside /besides)
5. Who is he after ? (after / before / in)
6. The policeman caught the thief by the arm. (at / by / with)
7. The ball fell to the ground. (to / in / over)
8. I am here only on business and I’ll leave soon. (under / on / with)
9. There is a map of China on the wall. (for / like / of)
10. Ten years passed and his son has grown into a young man. (like / into / to)
C. Fill in each blank according to the Chinese given in brackets.
1. She left the manager’s office with tears (哭着).
2. The boat sails on / down / along the river (河上).
3. The manger will come back in a week (一周内).
4. Christmas is celebrated in all (of) the Western countries (所有西方国家).
5. We held an interesting party in the open air (在户外).
Text B / Comprehension
A. Answer the questions according to the text.
1. What is Earth Day about?
Key: It is about learning about and protecting the biodiversity on earth.
2. Who is the founder of Earth Day?
Key: The founder is Gaylord Nelson of the United States.
3. How do people traditionally celebrate Earth Day?
Key: They traditionally celebrate the day with the ringing of bells, often bells of peace.
4. What did Australians do on Earth Day to draw attention to air pollution?
Key: They organized a large “carless” day.
5. What have been the themes of China’s Earth Day?
Key: Protection of geographic relics and scientific development and sustainable use of natural
resources in China and all over the world.
B. Read the sentences below and decide if they are true or false according to the text. Write T for true or F for false.
1. When Earth Day was founded, it was only celebrated in the US.
2. In 1972 Earth Day was made an international celebration by the UN.
3. Earth Day reminds people of their responsibility for the common planet they share.
4. The ringing of peace bells on Earth Day is practiced only in the West.
5. In Kenya children plant trees on every Earth Day.
Key: 1. T 2. F 3. T 4. F 5. F
A. Choose the best answer.
1. ________ the help of the guide dog, the old man ________ his son a visit.
A. Under; spent B. With; took
C. With; paid D. Under; showed
2. Because ________ bad weather we had to have our physical education class in the classroom.
A. of B. it was
C. of the D. the
3. I often dream ________ my old friends.
A. to see B. seeing
C. of seeing D. at seeing
4. ________ the end they succeeded in finishing the task ________ the end of June.
A. At; at B. In; in
C. In; at D. At; in
5. Can you translate the passage ________ English?
A. with B. from
C. into D. by
6. We couldn’t help ________ when we heard the hero’s story.
A. moving B. to move
C. to be moved D. being moved
7. Please pay twenty dollars for these, the dictionary ________.
A. included B. were included
C. include D. including
8. When he became a famous poet he was ________ his early thirties.
A. in B. at
C. after D. from
9. You ________ not smoke here. This is a public place.
A. could better B. would better
C. should better D. had better
10. The teacher shared the tasks ________ all the children in her class.
A. to B. with
C. by D. among
B. Fill in the blanks with the words given below.
right March long people spring than
What and When Is Earth Day?
When I proposed to name Earth Day, a global occasion to celebrate the wonder of life on our planet, I thought long and hard about what day to choose. It must be meaningful and must be accepted by people . When I came across the Vernal Equinox (春分), I immediately knew it was right . What could be better than the first day of spring when hearts and minds can join together with thoughts of peace and the awakening of the earth. So the first Earth Day was celebrated in San Francisco, on March 21, 1970. The United Nations later accepted the day as a yearly event for people all over the world. Each year the United Nations Peace Bell rings at the moment spring begins.
C. Translate the following sentences into English, using the given words or phrases.
1. 就我们所知，地球是人类可以居住的唯一星球。(as far as)
As far as we know, the earth is the only planet where people can live.
2. 田野被一层薄薄的雪覆盖着。(be covered with)
The field was covered with a thin layer of snow.
There are a lot of cars in big cities. They seriously pollute the air.
We should bravely take our responsibility for the earth.
5. 地球日让人们更关注环境问题。(draw attention to)
Earth Day draws more attention to environmental problems.
D. Translate the following passage from Text A into Chinese.
The earth means many things to the people who live on it. To a farmer, the earth is rich soil. To a road builder, the earth means mountains of hard rock. For a sailor, the earth is water as far as the eye can see. A pilot’s view of the earth may include part of an ocean, a mountain, and patches of farmland. An astronaut speeding through space sees the earth’s round shape and the outline of lands and oceans. Each of these different views helps describe the earth but none really tells what the earth is.
Practical Reading and Writing
A. Translate the following slogans into Chinese.
1. Engineered to move the human spirit. (Mercedes-Benz)